Filler Words.

Joey   Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
How about a filler word that has meaning but dosn't mean anything, sound wierd?

Afrikaans use 'ja nee' meaning 'yes no'.It dosn't mean yes nor does it mean no. It's a more contained form of wow which also exists in Afrikaans but can be positive or negative.
Presley.   Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
Wow, that's strange.
Presley.   Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:04 pm GMT
Another filler word I hear in California a lot is "like".

"Umm...yeah. Like, uh...like, and then, um, like..."
Joey   Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
South African English also uses 'like' and if your a surfer your whole language is based on this one word.

Like you know man like the weaves were like...

I think surfer talk is universal.
Deborah   Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:54 am GMT
This isn't really a filler word, but I heard a number of Russians who, when doing a series of tasks, would say ТАК as each step was accomplished. (ТАК means so, thus, like, like this.) I heard people doing this, for example, while preparing a meal, packing a suitcase, and writing exercises on the blackboard (my Russian teacher in Moscow did it). I can't think of an exact equivalent in English, but it could be like saying "OK" after everything. What it really reminded me of was saying "Check", but that seems so military, and not something that a person would say to himself.
mike   Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:27 am GMT
I hear italians say "Alora" very often. Is it the filler word for them?

--God how italian people like to talk!.
Travis   Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 am GMT
>>At least in the part of the US I am from (and all I have been too), the filler word is and has been um and uh - not ahm. Pretty close to er and erm, seeing as I don't think you pronounce those r's.<<

Actually, here in Milwaukee, WI we do say what some might write as "ahm", that is, [A~:m] for where most have "um". However, I would generally not use "ah" in such myself, as I associate such with the FATHER vowel, which is [a] not [A] here.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:56 pm GMT
"Allora" in Italian means "then", or "therefore", depending on what you are trying to say.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
Italians love to talk because their language is so beautiful. It is a pleasure and a joy to speak Italian. I love the sound of it as well.
Joey   Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 pm GMT
a.p.a.m

(Italians love to talk because their language is so beautiful. It is a pleasure and a joy to speak Italian. I love the sound of it as well.)

I think it's more a latin trait, ask any Ukranian immigrant or any other immigrante and he will tell you Portuguese lover to talk. They will point it out as being a good thing because it normaly helps them integrate better.
Uriel   Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:28 am GMT
In Hawaii, the Portuguese are the butt of many jokes about their inability to shut up.
Gringo   Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:06 am GMT
««In Hawaii, the Portuguese are the butt of many jokes about their inability to shut up. »»

Uriel, this means that the Portuguese have a great sense of humour:

"In rural areas, they are famous for ranching, homesteading thousands of acres. But perhaps the most noticeable contribution across the Islands is their kindly and humorous approach to life, with a large body of jokes and a reputation for non-stop chattering."

"The gregarious Portuguese do have much to be proud of, and thankfully the sense of humor to laugh along with everyone else at the jokes of Frank de Lima and other local comedians who perhaps too often target the friendly Portuguese. The Portuguese have added a special spice to life in Hawai`i, and will hopefully continue to provide the energy, soul and musical talent Hawai`i needs for a prosperous future."

"Some of the prominent Portuguese of modern times include: comedian Frank DeLima, "

http://www.islander-magazine.com/port.html
Joey   Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
Uriel
(In Hawaii, the Portuguese are the butt of many jokes about their inability to shut up.)

Yes but Hawaii wouldn't be the same without the ukelele (Cavaquinho português). So it's worth giving them a ear.
Tiffany   Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
"Italians love to talk because their language is so beautiful. It is a pleasure and a joy to speak Italian. I love the sound of it as well."

Not all of them love to talk, and this would not be the reason. Italian is of course beautiful in my opinion, but people talk for different reasons - and not all of them talk a lot. However, get someone on a subject they are passionate about, and they will talk your ear off about it. In my experience, Italians seem to love to talk economics and politics especially and it is a cultural thing. Children can't help but imitate what their parents do. However, not all love and partake in it.

I'm sure some talk because they like to hear themselves, but I doubt they are talking just because they think their langauge is beautiful.
Uriel   Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
<<Yes but Hawaii wouldn't be the same without the ukelele (Cavaquinho português). >>

Ooooooh, 'fraid I can't quite bring myself to be proud of the ukelele.... ;)