knowing only one language can be boring

DR.ROLANDO FONSECA   Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
don't you think that you can easily get bored knowing only one language?

i mean saying different things in different ways can change some one's life. knowing more than one language could be great for people.
i don't know how it feels speaking only one, i've been speaking two languages all my life.

knowing other languages is like being in a different worlds that how it feels like i would assume. i guess you can understand other too, for example asian people sometimes is hard to understand them.
marcelo   Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
WELL THATS VERY TRUE, I HEARD ALSO THAT PEOPLE ARE MORE CREATIVE WHEN THEY KNOW MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE, SO ITS A GOOD THING.
SERIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE WASTE THEIR TIME IN SCHOOL AND THEIR LIFE, ISTEAD OF LEARNING MORE LANGUAGES AS YOUNGSTERS, THEY GOOD ON BAD HABITS AND WHEN THEY ARE 30 THEN THEY WANT TO LEARN OTHER LANGUAGE THEN IT BECOMES DIFFICULT.
SO MY RECOMMENDATION IF YOUR PLANING TO LEARN A SECOND LANGUAGE DO IT YOUNG, DON'T WAIT BECAUSE IT BECOMES VERY DIFFICULT TO BUILT SYNAPSES IN YOUR BRAIN.
a.p.a.m.   Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:19 pm GMT
Knowing more than one language is very empowering. It makes other people jealous.
tatania   Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:16 pm GMT
thats true and your there is a say

"if you speak two languages you're worth two"

meaning you are equvalent to two people
Johnathan Mark   Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:34 am GMT
I love knowing more than one language. But I'll bet there are plenty of people who are completely satisfied knowing only own language.
de la rocha   Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:19 am GMT
knowing one language makes it hard to learn another language later on
if you do the calculations every one in the world pretty much speaks one language, so speaking two can make you special
for example when i went back home to colombia everyone wanted to be with me, you become popular even in school.
Linguist   Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
>>I have known many Americans and Canadians who have known only the English language for all practical purposes (maybe a smattering of Spanish, French, German, Latin or Japanese martial arts words along with it) and don't seem to be bored at all<<

I know many such people and they are not americans/canadians/english speakers, they just live in small towns, and they have their little life, they arent intrested about the world/cultures/etc., and they feel just good. There are many such people everywhere, in each country.
Georgeo   Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
Well Americans speak only one language because the nastalgia has not yet overcome them, as it has with me. That is why I speak flawless Chinese.
Benjamin   Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:28 pm GMT
This is a completely unrelated question, but is it fashionable to write 'nastalgia' [sic] at the moment?
Benjamin   Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:09 am GMT
Yes, I am fully aware of the meaning and the correct spelling. It's just that I've seen that word used rather a lot on this forum recently, spelt incorrectly as 'nastalgia' in most cases, and had wondered whether such usage might have some other connotation to which I was oblivious.
Tiffany   Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:12 am GMT
Benjamin, it is obviously the same troll misusing and misspelling the word over and over again. The trolls command of English and/or spelling is obviously incomplete.