greek language, a slavic language?

Sander   Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am GMT
Aldvs:

>>Scholars and Historians often exclaim, that Greek culture/language is the cradle of western civilization and the ancestor or mother tongue of many presence day (western/eastern) languages. So in that sense, it is an language of it's own. <<

My my, you are quite the linguist, tell me though with languages have greek as their ancestor?
a.p.a.m.   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:45 pm GMT
Brennus, "Even the
French have sayings like 'Africa begins at the Pyrenees' and 'Asia begins in Germany'. It's interesting how the French sometimes consider themselves as the Hub of the Universe. I've read somewhere that the French have a similar saying regardig Italy. "Africa starts at Bologna". Bologna is considered the starting point of Northern Italy, or the link that connects the Northern Po Valley with the penninsular part of Italy.
Aldvs   Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
"My my, you are quite the linguist, tell me though with languages have greek as their ancestor? "

Dutch
LAA   Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:11 pm GMT
"My my, you are quite the linguist, tell me though with languages have greek as their ancestor? "

Sander,
He means that much of our advanced vocabulary originates with Greek, as much of these words were adopted by the Romans, and became part of Latin, which was then loaned to non-Romance languages by the descendants of Latin. And there is also the many scientific words which have been borrowed directly from Greek, that we use in English and other languages.

Did you know Greek (or at least ancient Greek), has four words for love? There is one for brotherly love between friends, "agappe". There's one for romantic love between a man and a woman, one for filial love like that between a mother and child, etc. I really like this aspect of Greek, because "love" assumes so many forms.
Jo   Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
«««Did you know Greek (or at least ancient Greek), has four words for love?
1. There is one for brotherly love between friends, "agappe".
2. There's one for romantic love between a man and a woman,
3. one for filial love like that between a mother and child, etc.
I really like this aspect of Greek, because "love" assumes so many forms. »»»

So which is the fourth one?
Do you know the name in Greek for the last 3 ones?
LAA   Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:31 pm GMT
There is a fourth one, but I forget what it was. And no, I don't remember the names of them all. Sorry.
a.p.a.m.   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
Like LAA just said, there are several words for the word "love". One reason why the Greek language is so admired is because it is very precise. Unlike English, where you say the word "love", which has a few different meanings.
Sander   Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:32 pm GMT
>>He means that much of our advanced vocabulary originates with Greek<<

If he meant that then he (aldvs) should make that clear, and even then Dutch is probably the worst example one could give with the possible exeption of Icelandic.