What does 'Bollywood' mean?

kevin   Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:47 am GMT
Is that a kind of language ? I saw it when I was looking for mp3s for my mobile phone. there are categories including English songs and bollywood songs. what's that?I can't understand what they sing, but it's recally pleasant to listen that special voice.
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 am GMT
that's the indian equivalent of hollywood. famous for the movies and music produced there.
j   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:32 am GMT
does anybody know why it's called Bollywood? Holly is a tree, but what is a 'Bolly'?
Guest   Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:41 am GMT
B for Bombay
Joey   Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:43 pm GMT
Did you know India is the biggest movie producing country in the word?
Liz   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
It's the name of the (Anglo)-Indian film-making industry.

Bollywood=Bombay+Hollywood
Boy   Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
Liz..lol...nice sense of humour there. BTW, do you watch indian movies?
Liz   Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
<<Liz..lol...nice sense of humour there. BTW, do you watch indian movies?>>

That's completely serious! However, I'm glad you like it. :-)))

I don't really watch these films but I've seen a few of them. And you?

BTW (Indian English), I used to have an Indian teacher (he taught language philosophy) who has been raised in Britain, then moved to America and then back to Europe. He spoke with a strange mixture of Indian English, RP and General American.
Presley.   Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 am GMT
Bollywood is the name given to the entertainment industry, usually films, of India.

The "B" comes from Bombay, or Mumbai, which is the city in India where most of the films are produced. It is practically the Indian equivalent of Hollywood.

«Holly is a tree...»

Actually, the shrub for which Hollywood was named was not actually holly. People mistook the actual shrub called toyon for holly.
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
Bollywood, Tollywood and Lollywood etc, all are shameable words. I wonder they couldn't give any good name to their film industry.
Uriel   Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
Shameable is not a word. Try shameFUL.
Guest   Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:02 am GMT
Wellywood in New Zealand - frankly a poor copy of American wannabish trash.

Hollywood is the only and truly film capital
Adam   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:53 pm GMT
Rubbish. American films are pointless tripe that aren't worth spending money going to the cinema watching.

They are getting worse now because Hollywood is starting to run out of ideas for new films.
Boy   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:30 pm GMT
I second Adam's vews on this. Both Bollywood and Hollywood are producing third-grade movies.
Bob BAILEY   Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
Bollywood is absolute rubbish just a yuppie word.
Hollywood is the proper name for the home of films.
As for 'Adam & Boy' are you two serious about 3rd grade movies? What have you been used to watching or .... injecting?