I'd like to perfect my knowledge in english

teddy6424   Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
Hello, I am french, I would like to perfect my knowledge of spoken and written english.
I would like to discover too the different varieties of english, to know if is canadian english is a mix between british and american english or a specific variety?
If it's true why not employ this variety of english for a beginner or as an intermediate level as mine(there is not canadian , or australian accent in my method, only UK and US spelling).
Trying to speak english with a british spelling as Hugh Grant, an american spelling as Jack Nicholson or with a canadian spelling as Jim Carrey by example:-)

Question : what is the name of the citizen of Toronto and Ottawa?

Thank you all.
Uriel   Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:33 pm GMT
A person from Toronto is a Torontonian, but I've never heard of an Ottawa resident being anything but ... an Ottawa resident.

If you like, here's a list of some other names for specific Canadians:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1465597

I'm not sure how I would react to a bunch of foreigners who all sounded strangely like the very creepy Jack Nicholson ... I might be tempted to turn around and run!
Brennus   Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:28 pm GMT
Canadian English is based on the American English of the northeastern United States, especially the New England area because that is where the majority of the American Loyalist settlers came from after they were expelled from the Thirteen Colonies. However, it also has some Briticisms in it like 'chips' for "French fries", 'testimonials' for "credentials", 'postman' for "mailman", 'letter box' for "mail box" and 'tissue paper' for "toilet paper". Both British 'mum' and American English 'mom' are used depending upon the area and the speaker. 'Lieutenant' is pronounced the British way lef-ten-unt instead of the American way lew-ten-int. Schedule is pronounce what you might call the pseudo-British way shedj-ool where as in the U.S. it's pronounced skedj-ool. Canadians still use the American English 'truck' and 'gasoline' instead of the British petrol and lorry . The Irish and Australians use the British terms.

Ottowan n. = An inhabitant of Ottowa
Ottowa n. & adj. An Ottowa businessman; an Ottowa lawyer etc.
Geoff_One   Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:14 pm GMT
To me, petrol and truck seem more common in Australia.