Do you think Spanish will replace French ?

Alla Da   Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:50 am GMT
Recently, I have observed the usage of French language is declining and the usage of Spanish language is increasing. Earlier , this phenomenon occured in North America. Nowadays, it does occur in Asia.
Many people in Asia will think "why do you learn French? Why not Spanish?" "Are you going to live with the cannibals in Africa with using your French knowledge?"
kawaii   Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:29 am GMT
The answer is NEVER.
French people and governwent will never give up their mother touge.
But there is another possibility that both french and spanish and german will someday be replaced by English. That is the tredency.
fab   Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:37 am GMT
Spanish replace French ? where in France ? In Africa ? In Quebec ? in UN ? I don't really in what sence Spanish could replace French, since Spanish already have a more important situation than French.

If Spanish is challenging a language it is English, inside the most important english-speaking country itself, where it is possible that Spanish could replace English as the dominant usage language, at leat in some states.
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:49 am GMT
Spanish may not replace English,
but it appears that the usage of French is declining and the usage of Spanish is increasing.

Spanish now challenges French in international organizations. Maybe oneday, French has no longer been used.
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:57 am GMT
Guest Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:51 am GMT
but,obviously,french is considered used in upper class,while spanish being sopken by poor

I totally disagree with you!
Africans also speak French. Do those africans belong to the upper class?
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:04 am GMT
hey! i am just stating a fact!
i DID NOT say spanish isn't spoken wideningly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 am GMT
I may ask a question:

Is the population of French speakers in Africa is bigger than in Europe?

If so, French has no longer been used by upper class, but it has been spoken by most poor.
Benjamin   Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 am GMT
It's important to remember that, although a number of countries in Africa may have European languages such as English, French, Spanish and Portuguese, they are largely administrative and academic languages. They are not the languages used by most people at home and in their daily lives. Nigeria, for example, is no more of an 'English-speaking country' than India. Even South Africa cannot accurately be described as an 'English-speaking country' as some people suppose.
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 am GMT
u win!
i say u win
oh,it really broke my heart ,oh,hurt~~~~~~~~~~~
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:38 am GMT
benjimin said my words,they have own language
greg   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
Brennus : « The one I've heard is that French is either going to become more English or more German. »

Aurais-tu l'amabilité de préciser le sens de cette affirmation ?

J'avoue que le simplisme de l'alternative rend la phrase nébuleuse...
greg   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
Alla Da : « Recently, I have observed the usage of French language is declining and the usage of Spanish language is increasing. »

Je pense que ton observation est fausse dans la mesure où le français et l'espagnol progressent tous les deux.
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:45 pm GMT
Benjamin Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:35 am GMT
It's important to remember that, although a number of countries in Africa may have European languages such as English, French, Spanish and Portuguese, they are largely administrative and academic languages. They are not the languages used by most people at home and in their daily lives. Nigeria, for example, is no more of an 'English-speaking country' than India. Even South Africa cannot accurately be described as an 'English-speaking country' as some people suppose.

But they learn English in their primary school, don't they?
So, i may consider they are English-speaking country even they don't speak it at home. I just wanna say "Administrative or academic languages" still count
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:47 pm GMT
French? The african tongue?

Surely it is. If you learn French, you have the "great chance" to work in Africa than in Europe

French has no longer been "international".
Guest   Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
The upper class speak French?
Really? Do you still live "in past time"? 200 years ago?