What new about spanglish?

El Toreador en Argentina!   Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
French,

An arse is like Sander. I have invented a new insult, instead or asshole, you have actually "Sander!". Isn't it an horrible insult.

Spanglish is bad, porque it is all the time the latins who pay the price! The price to loose their soul!

Español will be the language of the future!!! French also, italian also, portuguse also, rumanian also!!! NADA MAS!!!

VIVA LA DIVERSIDAD SI ESTA LATINA!!!
Sander   Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:18 pm GMT
=>El Toreador en Argentina!<=

You're name alone made me crap my pants laughing.
Argentina te dice merda   Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:25 pm GMT
Sander,

"You're name alone made me crap my pants laughing. "

And you corrected Aldebaran!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Uriel   Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:35 pm GMT
Anytime you all would like to return to the subject, here is an article that touches on Spanglish:

http://www.spainview.com/spanglish.html

I might add that American English has accepted many, many Spanish words into its vocabulary without screaming "dilution! cultural oppression! my god, what is the world coming to!"

Here is a short list:

arroyo
canyon
playa (used to designate a temporary desert lakebed)
mustang (from mestena -- sorry, don't know how to type ~ over the n)
stampede (from estampida)
latigo
cinch (from cincha)
rodeo
guacamole
mesa (in terms of the geographical feature)
buckaroo (from vaquero)
hoosegow (direct transliteration of juzgado)

and there are many, many more.

By the way, Spanglish was not invented by English speakers to "dilute" the Spanish language with English words, but by Spanish and Spanish/English speakers themselves, and reflects neither a lack of education nor (obviously) a lack of pride in their heritage.

You may be making some very hasty assumptions and serious misapprehensions due to your unfamiliarity with real-life speakers of Spanglish. You might want to do some reading before you make blanket statements about it.
Pixels   Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:14 am GMT
Sander,

I think you need to stop being a bigot and actually help these people. Rather than typing LOL and calling someone stupid for not knowing the correct form of "to choose", you can politely help them.

And everyone else,
Lay off the childish name-calling.

- - - - - -

Isn't English some sort of Frenglish? It's almost like a hybrid, containing both English and French. Who's to say that Spanglish is wrong, when it could possibly become a language on its own?
Uriel   Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:50 am GMT
Weren't Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, etc. all LATIN at one point? Somewhere there's a centurion rolling over in his grave at what these upstarts have done to bastardize "his" language!

All languages change over time, and all of them borrow, loan, and pilfer words from each other. Flexibility is what keeps them relevant in a changing world -- not stagnation!
Geoff_One   Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:06 am GMT
Uriel, Sorry to do this, but doing it once maybe of help.

>> Flexibility is what keeps them relevant in a changing world -- not stagnation <<

This sounds like a tautology.

Previously, I used tautologies a lot until a number of people pointed this out.
Uriel   Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:18 am GMT
No prob, Geoff -- thanks; clarity in writing is usually a asset ...

Let me rephrase: Flexibility, not stagnation, is what keeps languages relevant in a changing world.
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:27 pm GMT
Pixel,

=>I think you need to stop being a bigot and actually help these people. Rather than typing LOL and calling someone stupid for not knowing the correct form of "to choose", you can politely help them. <=

I'd be glad to help people on this forum with questions about English and other languages.But only normal people, and certainly not a bunch of sick nationalists who try to spread their propaganda on this forum.
French   Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:18 pm GMT
I'd be glad to help people on this forum with questions about English and other languages.But only normal people, and certainly not a bunch of sick nationalists who try to spread their propaganda on this forum. >=

Spread propaganda?????????' LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Sander you are really SICK!!!
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:07 pm GMT
No ,'french', you are.
Another Dutchman   Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:16 pm GMT
Sander wrote:
« Erm, what about 'chose' ?! LOL morron. »

It is : "chosen by people". Now who is the morron?

Moron should be written with one 'r'. 2 mistakes in one tiny sentence.
The bucket they gave you in Germany to crap on, was the most appropriate mouth piece you ever had to voice your thoughts.
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:34 pm GMT
Still want to be a Dutchman Jo?I can understand that.
Sander   Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:37 pm GMT
BTW.

=>It is : "chosen by people". Now who is the morron? <=

You're right, IF THAT WAS THE SENTENCE.But it's not.

=>Moron should be written with one 'r'. 2 mistakes in one tiny sentence<=

Yet you wrote it with 2 r's yourself in the same message.Once again you've made a nice fool of yourself Jo the sad Belgian.
Another Dutchman   Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:18 pm GMT
And what was the sentence, Sanders, knul?
I copy:
«thus is not the way ordinary poeple choose to speak but the way choose by people without a trace of education. »

Your speudo-wisdom will be forth coming no doubt.