A concept of time

Johnny Zang   Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:51 am GMT
Oh hi engtense
engtense   Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:53 am GMT
What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?
Is it past time, or present time?

Also, I want to know how other languages see it.

English claims we use tense to express time, but I don't even know whether "since 2000" is past or present.
Geoff_One   Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:49 am GMT
English:

Since 2000, I have lived here.

Spanish:

Desde 2000, he vivido aquí.

OR

Desde 2000, yo he vivido aquí.

From my studies of the "Present Perfect Tense" in Spanish:

Take the case of "I have prepared the dinner."

In Spanish, it is necessary to use a conjugation of the auxillary/helping verb "haber" (to have).

I have -> Yo he

So "I have prepared the dinner" is:

Yo he preparado la cena.

In English the auxillary/helping verb can be excluded, but if this happens it is implied. Therefore, "I prepared the dinner" can be used for "I have prepared the dinner", but I guess not visa versa. In Spanish, it is necessary to include the auxillary verb.

Note: The stand alone verb for "to have" in Spanish is "tener". I am being generous and have answered one of the questions that I asked engtense.
Geoff_One   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 am GMT
"I prepared the dinner" in Spanish:

Preparé la cena.

Or

Yo preparé la cena.
Ant_222   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
Engtense:
«What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?
<...>
English claims we use tense to express time, but I don't even know whether "since 2000" is past or present.»

You are repeating yourself. I alread told you what time period is referred to by this phrase. In 1995 it meant part of the future, in 2002 it meant the last two years of the past and the whole future. No problem!
engtense   Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:33 pm GMT
I asked:
<<What kind of a time will you call "since 2000"?>>

Geoff_One wrote:
<<English:
Since 2000, I have lived here.>>

My reply:
I have re-asked my question for a few times, and you don't even know what I was asking about. No wonder you have often suggested me how to do my expressions in your own way.

In the following, I would like to make the question easier for you. Just please make a choice.

"Since 2000" is:
A: past time
B: perfect time
C: present time
D: future time
Micky Fong   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:14 pm GMT
Oh hi engtense
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
engtense, I don't know how to say it any simpler: **TENSE DOES NOT EQUAL TIME**. The forms of the verb in English that are often called tense are not limited to expressing differences of time. Habituality, attitude of the speaker, the tenses of related verbs, etc. all decide which form we use. The phrase "since 2000" is not necessarily related to the English tense system. However, since we are now in the year 2007, it refers to a period extending from the past and including the present. As shown many times above, we usually use the 'present perfect' to refer to this time period.
engtense   Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 pm GMT
Josh Lalonde wrote:
<<I don't know how to say it any simpler>>

My reply:
Yes, you don't.

----------------------
<<**TENSE DOES NOT EQUAL TIME**>>

My reply:
I don't even talk about TENSE at all. I just ask about the time "since 2000", why must you link it to TENSE at all? Why must you complicate my simple question?

--------------------
<<The phrase "since 2000" is not necessarily related to the English tense system>>

My reply:
Then don't talk about "tense system", OK? I didn't talk about "tense system", did I?

---------------------
<<.....to refer to this time period.>>

My reply:
May I ask what kind of "time period" you wanted to say?
A: past time period
B: present time period
C: future time period
Charlie Dang   Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 pm GMT
Oh hi engtense
Ant_222   Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
«May I ask what kind of "time period" you wanted to say?
A: past time period
B: present time period
C: future time period»

Do you really think every time period falls under one of these types?
Actually, a time period can overlap a combination thereof!
AB, BC, or ABC...
engtense   Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 am GMT
Do you mean past-present time period, present-future time period, or past-present-future time period.....? I don't think so. Do you?
Lui Kang   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:33 am GMT
Oh hi engtense
Ant_222   Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 am GMT
«Do you mean past-present time period, present-future time period, or past-present-future time period.....? I don't think so. Do you?»

Since 2000 — past-present time period.
Geoff_One   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:32 pm GMT
<< ... you don't even know what I was asking about.>>

Non sequitur