What does English sound like?

Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:58 am GMT
No, I know what you meant -- less tonal variation.

I associate that up-and-down quality more with Irish, I suppose. And in upper British Columbia (Canada) I encountered people with a peculiar accent that sounded like that Irish lilting quality paired with American/Canadian pronunciation -- very striking.
Frances   Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:02 am GMT
Yes, Irish English speakers are melodious. And you are spot on about BC! The Canadian ex-flatmate sounded almost Irish at times and was very melodious.
Uriel   Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:07 am GMT
And proof that there are tons of North American accent no one ever hears on TV or in movies -- I had never heard that one before, and it was only a two-day drive from home.
Uriel   Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:44 am GMT
"...North American accentS", dammit!
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:49 pm GMT
English sounds very nice to me, but since I have been able to speak it for many years now and I learnt it gradually, step by step, and actually still learning it, I guess I can't judge it that well. When I listen to a language that I don't understand, I can pay attention only to the sounds and say if I find it ugly or beautiful, but when I listen to English I hear the meaning, not the sounds.
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:06 pm GMT
"A lot of Germans have told me that their school teachers told them ' you don't speak English, you sing it'. "

Compared to German, ANY language sounds like German.
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:07 pm GMT
I meant to say, "Compared to German, ANY language sounds like singing."
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:09 pm GMT
"1. British
2. US
3. Canadian
4. Australian
5. SAR "

New Zealand, Irish, Indian, Zimbabwean, Tongan, Fijian.....
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:11 pm GMT
"I believe I read somewhere that English has more s and z sounds than most European languages, and that sometimes English speakers create the impression that they're hissing. "

That's true, that. I've noticed it myself, although I thought it was just me who noticed it and no-one else.
Sander   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:12 pm GMT
=>That's true, that. I've noticed it myself, although I thought it was just me who noticed it and no-one else. <=

No it's not true.

And Adamn on what do you base your opinion? Surely not on you imaginary 'experiences'.
Sanja   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
"Compared to German, ANY language sounds like singing."

For some reason it seems that way to me too... LOL :)
Adam   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:25 pm GMT
"No it's not true.

And Adamn on what do you base your opinion? Surely not on you imaginary 'experiences'. "

I base my experiences upon that fact that English has many S sounds. I have noticed before, when I'm reading, that there are lots of S sounds. Just look at any English paragraph.

And I'm not the only one who's noticed it.
Kirk   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
<<And proof that there are tons of North American accent no one ever hears on TV or in movies -- I had never heard that one before, and it was only a two-day drive from home.>>

So true. I wanna do a road trip around North America and stop off at different places and just listen to how local people talk. By the way, which accent were you referring to that was just a two-day drive from there?
Guest   Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:32 pm GMT
=>I base my experiences upon that fact that English has many S sounds. I have noticed before, when I'm reading, that there are lots of S sounds. Just look at any English paragraph. <=

And you compared this to all languages of the world? Fuck off.
Uriel   Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
<<And proof that there are tons of North American accent no one ever hears on TV or in movies -- I had never heard that one before, and it was only a two-day drive from home.>>

So true. I wanna do a road trip around North America and stop off at different places and just listen to how local people talk. By the way, which accent were you referring to that was just a two-day drive from there? >>

It was an upper BC accent that sounded like American crossed with Irish, and it was two days north of NoCal, where i lived at the time.