Harry Potter and other books - Americanized!

Rene   Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
My first exposure to commonwealth spellings was in some Rohld Dahl book (don't remember which any more). Yeah, I thought they were strange at first and it kind of bugged me, but not enough to stop reading. I read more British sutff than American now, so I don't even notice the single quotation marks any more.
Rick Johnson   Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 pm GMT
<<I think people just assume that we are obsessed with shortening words. Which we do, in moderation, but not to the extent of "cigaret".>>

Apparently it was used in the US at one time, though I can't say I've ever seen it. Incidentally, one similar American spelling which made it into British spelling is "toilet" (around the time of world war one) instead of the French spelling "toilette".
Deborah   Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:28 am GMT
In fact, "cigaret" is a accepted alternative spelling of cigarette in the US (see, e.g., the American Heritage dictionary). However, I always see it spelled "cigarette".
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:25 am GMT
<Even "thru" is not an actual standard spelling here.>

But its on signs on famous American cuisine sellers such as Mc Donalds, Burger King, etc. Drive'thru' to be indetail.
Deborah   Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:47 am GMT
a accepted --> an accepted
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 am GMT
It's an abbreviation like any other
e.g. co. for company, bra for brassiere, lb for pounds
Some muggle   Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 am GMT
Mountain out of a molehill...

American schoolteachers make a mountain out of a molehill when they mark down kids for using British spellings.

Honestly, why?? Any teacher must know that "manoeuvre" and "organise" are perfectly valid. Just because the teacher doesn't tend to use those spellings doesn't mean that the student is wrong...
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:47 am GMT
<Honestly, why?? Any teacher must know that "manoeuvre" and "organise" are perfectly valid. Just because the teacher doesn't tend to use those spellings doesn't mean that the student is wrong...>

But there must be somekind of standardisation of spelling in a particular country or area.
Some muggle   Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:47 am GMT
Oh yeah, I'm American and I HAVE used British spellings in essays and I HAVE argued about them with one teacher - but only one teacher.

To be fair, most teachers are all right with it. 90% of my teachers have never marked me down over "colour" or "centre". I used to be marked down quite often for using the "ise" form (e.g. "organise"), but that was only because my teachers weren't even aware that it was a valid spelling. I don't use "ise" anymore... "ize" is good, safe, and universal.
Some muggle   Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:49 am GMT
"But there must be somekind of standardisation of spelling in a particular country or area."

Personally, I think the basic requirement should be consistency within a person's writing. Stick to all British or all American. Once you've made the decision for yourself, your location shouldn't matter.

(Just my opinion! I'm sure people will disagree. Haha.)
David   Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:49 am GMT
@Some muggle:

That's a very interesting point of view! I TOTALLY agree!
The spelling conventions shouldn't be associated with the countries of origin to such a large degree. It should just be seen as "a different way of writing things".
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:12 am GMT
<To be fair, most teachers are all right with it. 90% of my teachers have never marked me down over "colour" or "centre". I used to be marked down quite often for using the "ise" form (e.g. "organise"), but that was only because my teachers weren't even aware that it was a valid spelling. I don't use "ise" anymore... "ize" is good, safe, and universal.>

Apparently in the Canadian National spelling bee they dictate that Commonweath spelling is the standard, of course with exceptions with such words like "tire" which are correct not "tyre".
Danny-boy   Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:03 pm GMT
I dont understand these American's...with everything that they do, they always want to be better than the British what's with that. They believe somehow that they are better. Can someone please tell me what the point is for them to change the language does it make any sense or difference (NO) it is still English for god sake stop being ignorant. does it matter if some of the words are dissimilar...I dont know why these American's want to got through all the trouble just to change the language of the book for such a small thing. See this is exactly what i mean by the American's have to much pride in themselves... Hello reality check British people invented the language.
Some muggle   Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
To Danny-boy:

Actually, when Webster wrote his famous American dictionary, the English language didn't really have a single standard, so he was at liberty to choose whatever variants he wanted.

For a similar non-Webster example, take aluminium vs. aluminum. Both were common currency on both sides of the Atlantic in the 19th century, but the former gradually became dominant in the UK and the latter in the US.

It's a matter of evolution, not pride or superiority.

(And if you read between my lines, you'll see how this ties into why I think teachers should be more accepting of "the other standard spelling".)
Guest   Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 pm GMT
Oh Danny Boy the pipes, the pipes are calling
from glen to glen and down the mountain side
The summer's gone and all the roses dying
'tis you 'tis you must go and I must bide
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
or when the valley's hushed and white whith snow
'Tis I'll be there in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny Boy, Oh Danny Boy I love you so

And when ye come and all the flowers are dying
If I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying