Lithuania

Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 pm GMT
Damian,

That's allright :) It's just that Balkan "sistares" have some connotations.
Damian   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:07 pm GMT
hey...fill me in in that one plz VYTENIS......if suitable for an open forum.

I still cannae get over me getting my Balkans and Baltics muxed ip.
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 pm GMT
>>>Poor unsuspecting locals...I'll say three Hail Marys for them......they don't know what lies in store for them

You don't know what lies in store for you with all those Lithuanian skinheads who go to UK in their thousands. Poor brits :)))
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:14 pm GMT
Well, it's just that we don't want the fate of Balkan "sisters" :)
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:18 pm GMT
Sander,

Yes, Konigsberg region was once part of Germany but after WWII it became a part of Russia with almost all of the original inhabitants exiled or exterminated. However, the original inhabitants of that region were Baltic peoples: Prussians and later Lithuanians.
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:30 pm GMT
Riko,

It's not about removing Russian influence or discriminating ethnic Russians in any way. As Suomalainen has correctly noticed, Lithuanians are a great majority in almost all Lithuanian towns and cities so they don't feel threatened. While Latvians are. Here is the ethnic breakdown of the largest Latvian cities:

Riga: Russian - 60%, Latvian - 40%
Daugavpils: Russian 85%, Latvian 15%
Liepaja: Russian - 55%, Latvian 45%
Jelgava: Russian 50%, Latvian 50%
Ventspils: Russian 55%, Latvian 45%
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:52 pm GMT
Imagine for a moment that almost half of Russia's population is ethnic Chinese and that the two greatest Russian cities Moscow and St Petersburgh are 60% and 85% Chinese respectively. What would Russians do? Would they consider restricting certain rights of ethnic Chinese? Would that be considered "discriminatory"?
Trawick   Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:56 pm GMT
I don't know much about Lithuania except that their language is the oldest in Europe, and one of the most important existing spoken languages. It's the language that is closest to the common Indo-European ancestor of all Western speech, and thus shares some similarities with Germanic, Romantic and Slavic languages (EXCLUDING loan words).
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:21 pm GMT
Poor Latvians! I support your efforts to re-latvianize your country! But do it peacefully and nicely, show that you are better than your old dictators!!!
Phil   Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:21 pm GMT
Fun fact. Lithuanian is the oldest indo-european language
Sander   Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:27 pm GMT
I thought sanskrit was the oldests...
Vytenis   Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:44 pm GMT
Fredrik,

I am not from Latvia :) But you have the point about doing it peacefully. Otherwise there is a danger of "Balkan sisters" :)))))
Sander   Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
Erratum, 'oldest'
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:46 pm GMT
Who are the "Balkan sisters"? I've never heard of them and no hits on Google.
Phil   Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 pm GMT
"I thought sanskrit was the oldest"

I should say the oldest living indo-european language

Sanskrit i believe is pretty much a dead language, except for maybe a few thousand mother tongue speakers in India.