Do Irish people like to be called Paddies???

s.jack   Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 am GMT
Guast
Sorry, I just ment that he probably doesnt have blue eyes (but brown instead). And who would hate English that much if not someone from a former british colony. I was just teasing him anyway.
Sorry if I have offended anybody.
Liz   Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am GMT
<<Brad could come from any other non-speaking country like Italy, Mexico, Korea, Japan....etc>>

Non-speaking countries must be interesting. How do people communicate there...using sing language?

Italy, Mexico, Korea, Japan...these countries come across as *definitely* speaking countries to me, especially Italy and Mexico. :-) :-) :-) :-))))
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 16, 2007 10:06 am GMT
S JACK asks: ***I'm just curious. What are your feelings about separate Scotland (regarding recent elections and referendum to be)? ***

A separate Scotland will never happen, no matter how loudly and forcibly the SNP (Scottish National Party) press for it and continue to insist that the majority of Scots want total independnce. The reality is this - at least 75% do not want to break away from the UK. End of....

We are proud of our own identity, happy to be a country quite distinct from our powerful neighbour to the south of us. We love having our own Parliament at Holyrood, here in Edinburgh, to deal with our own Scottish affairs, and we love having our own laws and statutes and to have our own culture and being able to do things differently from the English (and Welsh I suppose).

We also love all the money the UK Government in London chucks our way. That's really nice, and we'd be loathe to lose out on that with independence, and to depend on Brussels would be some kind of loss of dignity, even though that's unlikely as we guys are pretty resourceful and adaptable. After all, Scots have been very prominent in the development of the UK anyway, from its inception right down to the present day, with a true born Scot likely to be the next Prime Minister of the UK. In fact, many English people resent the high profile of us Scots in so many UK institutions, and we like that big time....that they resent it I mean!

The recent Scottish elections did show a rise in the number of seats gained by the SNP, but when you add up all the other seats held by opposition parties theyt are in the minority by quite some margin. Hardly a resounding victory or a cry for independence. That will surely be reflected in the result of a referendum for a breakaway from the UK...a very clear majority against such a move.

So it looks like the English will have to have us plaguing them ad infinitum. They'll never be shut of us, or us of them! :-)

Actually, I'm a bit of an Anglophile. God knows why.
s.jack   Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
Thanks
Brad   Wed May 16, 2007 4:31 pm GMT
How dare you guys speak about me like this! I have blue eyes and a great mind.I am not like indian or pakastini even if i do not have anything against them.S Jack you r a smelly rascist!God bless america
s.jack   Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
God bless your great mind.
Sarcastic Californian   Wed May 16, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
>>>>>How dare you guys speak about me like this! I have blue eyes and a great mind.I am not like indian or pakastini even if i do not have anything against them.S Jack you r a smelly rascist!God bless america<<<<<

Yes, how dare we speak ill of the man (and I use that term loosely) who is arrogant, ignorant, and, now, conceited? Shame upon our disrespectful selves.

Would you care for us to grovel at your feet for forgiveness, Brad the Great?
Brad   Wed May 16, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
You people are like sooooo..rude! The sarcastic Calfornian is so not a calfornian but a smelly english pig!

screw you
O'Toole   Thu May 17, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
Have you heard the term "turkey bird" used to describe the Irish? If so, what is the origin of that slang? Is it meant as a dig?
Irish gal   Sat May 19, 2007 10:46 pm GMT
Dhia duit (hello). just thought I'd give you all an opinion from an irish women, from whether we like being called "paddies" or not. My opinion is no. I don't mind. If it's done affectionatly or in a joking way then it's grand, but not when it's done out of disrespect. The british used to call the irish "paddies" to make fun of us, so that would have been really hurtful. They also made it illegal for us to have an irish name, and as Patrick was a common male name, paddie could be used to insult us and our irish names. But things have changed and thankfully, only very few people would say it to be disrespectful. Anyway, we're always telling jokes about "paddie irish man paddie scotish man and paddy english man" so it's all grand.

Slan! (good-bye) and may the luck of the Irish be with you!!!

Eirran go bach!
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 12:49 am GMT
Brad, by the quality of youe English I would say that you're really Indian or Pakistani?

By the quality of your thinking I can easily guess you are from US
Sarcastic Californian   Sun May 20, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
>>>>>You people are like sooooo..rude! The sarcastic Calfornian is so not a calfornian but a smelly english pig!

screw you<<<<<

Rude? Thank you for that compliment, Brad. And I'm flattered that you think I'm a Brit, but, truth be told, I'm honestly Californian.

And by the way, those born and raised in America don't say things like "silly little dude" and "smelly English pig".
Guest   Sun May 20, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
nd I'm flattered that you think I'm a Brit

WOW! what a compliment!!! Who shouldn't be flattered??!!
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 11:38 am GMT
I'm sorry for any anti-american comments coming our way (England, the UK etc...), but I guess it is quite easy when there is something to rebound off i.e. Brad. Concerning the question of the Irish, although I rather them remain with us, in the grand scheme of things, I do not think it matters as much as them being able to live peacefully with each other, however that occurs.

I'm glad "Damian in Edinburgh" backed us English/British, I used to like our Celtic brothers (sort of still do), but having to live with my English hating Welsh father, has damaged that and having that reinforced my the media, keeps it constantly on my mind.

I love Americans, perhaps I should go over there sometime, but if they are anything like Brad & co. perhaps I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. Nevertheless just letting you yanks (north & south) there is at least one Englishman over here, that would gladly be your friend despite Hollywood.

Rant over!
Rene   Mon May 21, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
No Guest, we most certainly aren't all like Brad. Just ignore him. It was funny what Irish gal was saying about not liking the word Paddie because it was an English term of disrespect. We took the opposite road here, using the British term of disrespect for all things American (Yankee that is) and turnied it into a national symbol. Heck, the British soldiers in the streets of Boston right before the Revolution used to sing Yankee Doodle to piss of the Americans by making fun of their fashion sense, nationalism, patriotism, and whatever else, and now its one of America's best known songs. Better known than our own national anthem, actually. I guess what I'm saying is that our attitude is and always has been: go ahead and make fun of us, because we really don't care.