Esperanto, the language of Brotherhood

Bakalite   Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:32 am GMT
I like Esperanto. I don't speak it, but the idea sounds just perfect.
Aldvm   Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:50 am GMT
I don't want to sound rude but generally I like to be honest. sincerelly I think Esperanto simply stinks. I would call it Romgerslavish.
Vincent   Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:23 am GMT
To Aldvm,

I used to think the same, then I learnt it and I tried to speak it with other people and it doesn't sound ugly. It's like russian spoken with an italian accent.

Mi kutime tion pensis, poste mi ĝin lernis kaj provis ĝin paroli kun aliaj uloj kaj ĝi ne sonas malbela. Samkielas rusan parolata italakcente.
Aldvm   Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
Could be Vincent but it lacks of the 'harmony' and 'balance' that centuries of real evolution gives to a language. It looks odd and sounds worst.
Pauline   Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
About 200 years ago, there was a place (country) what was created for speak esperanto ; it was in belgium, very close by holland and germany. It was called : Territoire neutre de moresnet. (Territory neutral of moresnet). Moresnet's a town.

I think that this little country doesn't exist since about WW1 and that now they don't speak esperanto.
Vincent   Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:38 pm GMT
Aldvm,
Does english spelling look not odd for you? Esperanto has not been designed to take the place of a natural language, it's just a tool like the metric system in order to make easier people's life.
Joey   Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
All the "made up" languages have some sort of problem, Esperant was with out a doubt a good try, but will it really be a big international language?
We will have to wait and see. It was a great idea but there are about another 200 other great ideas like Esperanto.
JakubikF   Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 pm GMT
For me (polish native speaker) Esperanto is impossible to understand. I can't see any word which I might know. I think it is a language-mix which is prepared to use by native speakers of latin language group and probably for native english speakers.

In my opinion for slavic group suitable international language is Slovio. While reading a text in Slovio I could understand almost everything without learning this language before. However it's hardly understandable for other language groups.
Q   Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:16 am GMT
I honestly think only English will be useful as a completely international language. Not enough people know Esperanto, and it is not all that easy to understand by people who speak Romance and Slavic languages--not to mention other types of languages. I think that languages like Intergermania/Interlingua/Slovio are the best bet for communication with speakers who speak a particular group of language--because they can already understand most of it without previous study.
greg   Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:45 am GMT
JakubikF : « In my opinion for slavic group suitable international language is Slovio. While reading a text in Slovio I could understand almost everything without learning this language before. »

Phénomène identique pour les romanophones avec interlingua : la compréhension est agréablement aisée, quasi-spontanée.

Q : « I think that languages like Intergermania/Interlingua/Slovio are the best bet for communication with speakers who speak a particular group of language--because they can already understand most of it without previous study. »

Oui mais interlingua recèle un avantage dont les langues artificielles à base slave ou germanique sont dépourvues : le lexique d'origine gréco-latine a traversé les âges et les cultures. Cet héritage gréco-latin est une passerelle entre des temps et des espaces que tout sépare.
Benjamin   Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:32 am GMT
<< For me (polish native speaker) Esperanto is impossible to understand. >>

There one advantage that native Polish speakers have with Esperanto though -- it's easy for you to pronounce. This is beacause Zamenhof, the original creator of Esperanto, was Polish, and to an extent based Esperanto phonology on Polish phonology.
samideano   Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:15 am GMT
Esperanto is great, I'm learning it. Yes, I know, probably it won't be the international language but i don't care hehe ;-)
Esperantophile   Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
it has native speakers and enjoys continuous usage and evolution by a community estimated at between 100,000 and 2 million speakers.it sounds good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto
Benjamin   Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:19 am GMT
It is important to remember that Esperanto and Interlingua were created for rather different purposes. Esperanto was intended to be a universal auxiliary language which people all over the world would learn as a second language, whilst Interlingua was intended to be immediately comprehensible (at least in the written form) to speakers of Romance languages (and also to educated English speakers with some knowledge of a Romance language). I can read Interlingua completely fluently, even though I've never 'learnt' it.

It is also important to remember that the original aims of Esperanto are not necessarily the aims of the entire Esperanto-speaking community today. Indeed, many Esperanto speakers like to think of themselves as a kind of self-chosen linguistic minority and diaspora, with a community and culture in its own right, and have no desire for everyone in the world to speak it.
JR   Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:38 am GMT
I think 2 million is a bit hopeful.
Perhaps 2 million is the number of people who have studied it for a while and feel confident to write small sentences.
100,000 might be the number of actual fluent speakers.

Esperanto is a good idea (I personally prefer Interlingua though), but if people don't have the necessity to learn it, few will.