Tio and Tia - The same in Spanish and Greek

LAA   Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:56 pm GMT
The words for aunt and uncle in Spanish and Greek are the same. Is there any connection?
Aldvm   Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
The RAEL says they came from Latin word 'thius' but I don't know if in Latin it has the same sense.
João   Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
it is the same as portuguese also
Jo   Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:22 pm GMT
Modern Greek theios - a Greek word borrowed into Vulgar Latin

What would the Greek word for God be ?
Sigma   Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
En Español de España "tio" tambien significa "dude", y "tia" también significa "chick" algo asi como un slang
fab   Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
in French, the childish name is "tata" and "tonton"
JR   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
Something for the kids and the know it alls.

Uncle: [13th century. Via Old French oncle from, ultimately, Latin avunculus “maternal uncle.”]
JR   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 pm GMT
German has "Onkel", so is German closer to Latin, then? Brennus? No, that was a bad analogy to depict. If spanish & italian had -unculus- as uncle, then they would have written it as so;

Spanish- "onjo/a"

Italian- "oncchio/a"
Tiffany   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
Thanks for pointing that out. Brennus beat you to it - third message. No need for the condescending tone.
LAA   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
<<En Español de España "tio" tambien significa "dude", y "tia" también significa "chick" algo asi como un slang >>

I did not know that. Very interesting. I am conversing with a Spanish girl from Malaga on myspace, and so maybe I'll call her "tia".

Sigma,
Do you know how when a man is being flirtatous with a woman, and he calls her "mija", is this "tia" for "chick" thing in Spain the same thing basically?

Fab,
<<in French, the childish name is "tata" and "tonton">>

I am assuming that these words are pronounced the same as they would be in Spanish, but that the "o" in "tonton" is nasal, correct?

<<Spanish tío; Italian zio; Modern Greek theios - a Greek word borrowed into Vulgar Latin. I believe that W.D. Elcock discusses this in his book "The Romance Languages" (1960) - Maybe W.J. Entwhistle "The Spanish Language" (1936). Another Latin word for uncle, 'avunculus', is the source of the French word (oncle). So yes, in this respect, French is actually closer to Latin than Spanish and Italian! Both books are worth reading if you can find them.>>
Brennus,
Well thanks for that explanation. I first started thinking about this while watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I was shocked to hear them use the same word for "uncle/aunt" as in Spanish. So I assumed that the Romans borrowed it from the Greeks, so it was thus transmitted to Spanish from Latin. I guess I was right. Those Romans had a reputation for emulating the Greeks.
Tiffany   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
Check out the gods ;)
Tiffany   Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:52 pm GMT
Check out my breasts and my buttocks:)

http://www.claritaslux.com/spirit.jpg

Comments are welcome! Toodles
Tiffany   Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
Lovely, someone has been so offended by my opinions that I have a brand new impersonator! Gee, I get this so often.

Brennus, please delete the above message. I will not return to reply on this thread, so you can be assured anymore "Tiffany"s on this thread are not me.
fab   Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:22 pm GMT
Tiffany, wow you're really something. Nice ass!
Calliope   Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
"Modern Greek theios - a Greek word borrowed into Vulgar Latin

What would the Greek word for God be ?"

In Greek, God = Θεός (theos)

Θείος (theios) initially and primarily meant (and means) "divine". I am not sure how it ended up meaning "uncle" too.