Your Accent!

Uriel   Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:33 pm GMT
So what you're saying, Candy, is people from Ulverston are desperate to get out?
Candy   Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
Welllllll......it's very pretty, but there's not much to do! And it's far from anywhere (by English standards at least)
I love the place (going back there for a few days next Thursday) but I couldn't live there any more. There are practically no jobs for graduates.

It was the home town of Stan Laurel (of Laurel and Hardy) Ulverston's only claim to fame....
Bruno   Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 am GMT
Hum ... Good question !

I'm French and for English accents, i don't know all of them but i know that american one is more beautiful than english one. American accent is more difficult because the US speak very quickly, but it sounds cool. the english one is HORRIBLE, their way to pronounce every letters GRRR but it's very easo to understand them !

In France, the accents are really different ( like everywhere i guess ) and we can easily separate the northern accent and the southern accent. I'm from Marseille, and i like my accent, and i think it's the most beautiful french accent ! The accent of Lille or de la Picardie are terrible ...

Canadian French accent is really funny, but Swiss one and Belgian one are RI-DI-CU-LOUS !
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:05 pm GMT
<<but i know that american one is more beautiful than english one.>>

You can't *know* that, Bruno, because that's an entirely subjective opinion.

<<the english one is HORRIBLE,>>

Which English accent? Do you think there's only 1? There are THOUSANDS.
Bruno   Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:22 pm GMT

I say the global english accent. Only the native english can make the difference between the North and the South or whatever. I can make the difference between Irish one, Scottish one and Londoner one ...

Maybe you're sad because you're English and you love your accent ...

First try to speak French as well as i speak English
Second try to difference someone from Paris and someone from Toulouse

So sorry for the mistake, but for my ear English accent is always the same ...
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:31 pm GMT
<<Maybe you're sad because you're English and you love your accent ...>>

I don't love my accent. I'm totally neutral about it. It's the way I speak, no more, no less. No changing it now.

I STILL think your opinion that 'the English accent is horrible' is entirely subjective. Don't you agree? If I say that I *know* Italian is more beautiful than French, do you think that's a *fact*?
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:36 pm GMT
Oh, you be quiet, Candy! OF COURSE he's right!

Just kidding -- I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call the American accent "beautiful" -- JUST LET US BASK IN IT FOR A FEW MINUTES, CANDY!
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:48 pm GMT
LOL Uriel!!

I'm not objecting to the sentiment (hey, I live with a Canadian - I like North American accents!) but to the 'I know' part. People who can't distinguish reality and opinion....grr!

Or maybe I should be more charitable and assume it was an English mistake! :-)
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:22 pm GMT
You know, using "North American" in ordinary conversation (NOT linguistics -- back, Travis and Kirk!) is a DEAD Canadian giveaway, Candy! I find use of that term an easier way to ID Canucks than any niggling little differences in accent (which I usually can't hear anyway).
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
<hangs head in shame>

Jeez, I'm even picking up the lingo.....
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:35 pm GMT
Soon you'll be eating maple syrup, knitting a tuque, and investing in caribou mittens.
Candy   Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:40 pm GMT
OK, then I'm really a lost cause....;(
(except for the knitting)

Next thing I'll be saying 'Bewdy, eh!'
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:21 pm GMT
Or, "Take off, you hoser!"
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:22 pm GMT
I forgot -- all American English can be converted into Canadian English with the simple addition of the word "eh". ;)
Guest   Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:36 pm GMT
People around here like british accent, but not chinese accent. Why?