English is the hardest language to learn

Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:50 am GMT
You don't seem to speak it all that well either... LOL

"I'd hate to hear how BADLY your pronunciation is..."

That should be "bad," the ADJECTIVE form, instead of "badly," the adverb form, since it's describing the NOUN "pronunciation", which is what adjectives do (describe nouns).
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 pm GMT
<<You don't seem to speak it all that well either... LOL

"I'd hate to hear how BADLY your pronunciation is..." >>

According to the doctrine of "native speaker infallability", it's impossible for native speakers to make grammer errors. Typo's [see prior sentence for an authentic unfixed typo], editing errors, and spelling errors are of coarse possible, especially sound-alikes such as its/it's, they're/their/there, coarse/course, etc.).

In this case, perhaps "badly" is just an editing error (incomplete text change?) , where the original phrasing was something like "I'd hate to hear how badly you pronounce English...." :)
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
Man, by reading your sentences, none of you speak English very well. I'd hate to hear how badly your pronunciation is... I'm a native English speaker and will tell you right now that you all sound funny. I've learned Spanish fluently and know what it's like to learn a second language. I also have German friends living here in the United States. They have learned to speak it fairly well, but are never able to hide their accents. You have to dedicate A LOT of time and effort to learning a language really well, even if you are living amongst native speakers.
Good luck!

Man, you have learned Spanish so fluently that you are writing in English. Being a natine English speaker I'd hate to hear how badly your pronunciation is and how much you sound funny....
Nobody can hide completely his own native accent (you too) even if living in the foreign country on which the studied language is spoken, so I can only imagine your Spanish pronunciation since you have learned it at home.
You have to dedicate A LOT of time and effort to learning a language really well, even if you are living amongst native speakers (AND YOU ARE NOT).
Good luck!
Travis   Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
>>According to the doctrine of "native speaker infallability", it's impossible for native speakers to make grammer errors. Typo's [see prior sentence for an authentic unfixed typo], editing errors, and spelling errors are of coarse possible, especially sound-alikes such as its/it's, they're/their/there, coarse/course, etc.).<<

One key point, though, is that this only applies to the native *dialects* of said native speakers; native speakers of English, for instance, can definitely make mistakes trying to speak in an English dialect other than their native one. Of course, all English dialects, for instance, are legitimate varieties of English, so one can still say that all native speakers of English speak English as a whole correctly, even if their own speech is highly divergent or highly conservative compared to most English dialects.

Another note is that individuals can and do misspeak, even when speaking their native dialect, but this is different than "speaking incorrectly". The matter is that when people misspeak what they say is specifically different from what they intend, and they will often correct themselves if they notice their having misspoken. This is as opposed to speaking a variety that is highly nonstandard, where individuals say what they mean no matter how far it may be from some variety that is regarded as standard.
Guest   Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:42 am GMT
I have lost 10 pounds over a course of two weeks after reading Travis's posts.
Mohammad   Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
with the best hellos
I am a Iranian boy and I'm eighteen and I think English is very easy to learn

With the best thanks
Jasper   Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
Mohammed, it's because of your age.

For an adult, English is infinitely harder---at least, this is what I'm told.
nomad   Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 pm GMT
english is the hardest language . I am a native english speaker. I have taken 4 years of mandarin chinese and it is really easy
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:22 am GMT
Hmm, you just took 4 years learning a foreign language and you're calling it really easy??
What does that say about you?
Lisa   Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:20 am GMT
I agree with Liz. Learning how to speak any language is not easy. Please make sure you have command over your grammar before making such egotistical statements...........try practicing a little more...........
Guest   Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:38 am GMT
<<english is the hardest language . I am a native english speaker.>>

I'm an E1Ler myself, and I never could get the hang of any language other than English. Lots of other E1Lers seem to have the same problem. Maybe I'm biased, but I think this demonstrates how easy English really is. :)