Learning English by listen English music?

vicky   Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:48 pm GMT
Learning English have many methods. I want to know how do ypu feel about to learn english by songs?Is that good for english?
^^
Robin   Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 am GMT
A lot of people have difficulty in making out the words of songs. Also, like poetry, the people who write songs are aloud to break the normal rules of grammar.

However, with the internet, it is possible to look up the lyrics of any song that you are interested in. Also, I would think that it makes learning English more interesting.

Children when they are initially learning to speak are introduced to Nursery Rhymes. I think that it gives people an idea of how words go together.
sapphire   Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:54 am GMT
If we make out the words of songs...it really good for our english. To be a chinese, we cannot use some word to express us meaning as well as. Or we have no idea how to put the word in to our story is suitable. Unless we have foreigner friends ,teachers or live in USA... Then we can know more about the art of English. So English song is the easy way for us to get close with American culture.
Glikeria   Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:31 am GMT
My enthusiastic yes, vicky.
I myself owe much of my English to the Beatles, Nat King Cole and the like, in whose songs you can hear distinctly every word. All the words and grammar patterns are memorized very quickly and forever. And you learn a lot of new things,too.
For example, first time I met "ain't" was in the superb "Ain't no mountains high enough" by D. Ross. "19th nervous breakdown" by the RStones added 2 words to my vocabulary. When I explain to sb the pattern "... times a..." I let them listen to "Eight days a week " by the Beatles and sometimes suggest they should transcribe the song.
Dan   Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
What kind of song that u like is ok.

However, the person who starts leanning should choose a easy English song .And u hum a tune to yourself usually.

Perhaps your curiosity will make you look for ur first language of this
song :)
Boy   Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 pm GMT
Yeah, it is a cool way to enjoy the language and get some relaxation. On the other hand, it is too much of hardwork to search the lyric of a song and have it printed out and read it many times while listening to the song. After some repetitions the song comes to you naturally. I don't think I'll learn a lot from listening to a song than say reading an article on the internet. Most of the lines are repeated in a chorus.

I normally go through the whole album of a singer and decide which songs have touched my heart and have cool musical compositions then I go for the lyric. I am more of a musical oriented guy. I love listening to a good use of musical instruments in the song and if a singer has a cool voice too then what's more I want. madonna, nickelback, jennifer lopez, linking park, Justin timberlake and nelly furtado are some of my favorite singers that I have listened to and enjoyed their music and vocal chords.

I don't think I have learned English very much from their songs, though.
Evangeline   Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:49 am GMT
I think it is a useful method to me.Because I like music, and it is easy to remember the lyrics for me.With the melody, I always can recall my memory.Evan though, sometiomes the English music's grammar isn't correct , still there are many new vocabulary that I didn't know.After listening English songs, I can remember those new vocabulary.
Dinner   Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:51 pm GMT
It is a good method to learning English,but I think that watching movie is more useful than listening music to me.Watching movie is amusing.Beyond all question that the movie can't with your first language even subtitles or sound.
Angelina   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:34 pm GMT
I think I listen to English songs study English can be very much interesting.But can learn the correct grammer.
Steven   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:56 pm GMT
In my opinion, learning English by listening English music is a short cut to get your English much better. As a matter of fact, the lyric of English usually use simple but very useful words, which you can learn quickly and use them in your conversation. Besides, the beautiful melody can help you to remember the words easily. Therefore, I think learning English by listening English music is a good idea!
Glikeria   Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 am GMT
Listening TO music, Steven. :)
john   Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
nice
A   Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:06 am GMT
From my experience, I'd say HEEEEELL NAH. Cuz after listening to tons of rap music and stuff, my whole way of speaking English turned to a "hood" style and even my accent changed a lot. Now I'm gonna have to phase out the ebonics and try to get back to the accent I had couple of years ago. I dont wanna be talkin like a thug for life after all. lol
All jokes aside, listenin to music IS a pretty good way to pick up a language.