Why do people look down on Spanish?

Pauline   Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
<< This isn't entirely related to your question, but I would say that there is no noticeable difference between how white people generally look between England and Brussels. Brussels is an interesting example, actually, because it's located in Flanders, the architecture is largely Flemish style and it was traditionally mainly Dutch-speaking, but it has now become about 90% French speaking. >>

yes, i agree :-)

the differences i have described are small ones - there's not a racial difference, but certain patterns or typical looking. Possibly when you are not in brussels, you can see more differences, because the capital is a mixture, and in the countryside the poeple are more spearated (geographically), but i'm not sure.

certainly, i think there will be more diversity in California (where LAA is living )
Aldvm   Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
<<Pensaba que era resulto de la influencia
inglésa porque ressemble : « computer ». Eso sería quizás una coincidencia ? >>

El origen de 'computer' viene de 'compute' la cual viene tambien del latin 'computare' o 'computus' o sea la palabra en los dos idiomas tiene el mismo origen. El L.A. son comprendidos y utizados ambos terminos 'computador/ra' y 'ordenador' pero 'ordenador' es mucho menos usado.
LAA   Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
<<sometimes yes. in Flanders there are more tall people, and bigger, not fat, but the walloons look more delicate, and many walloons are short. There are 2 ''typical'' types in belgium : blond, blue-eyes, or dark hair and eyes. especially the second type you can find in Wallonia, but many blond people also. I look mediterranean, but i'm completely belgian, and this is not unusual. it's a country where latin meets germanic.>>

Yes, thank you. That is what I wanted to know. I have met a lot of Flemings before, but I don't think I've ever met Walloons, so I don't know what you guys usually look like. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you would say that Walloons look like French people (Gallo-Roman), and Flemings look like Dutch people (Germanic), correct? I understand that these are generalizations.

If that were the case, it would make sense, as a majority Gallo-Roman population that outnumbered the Franks would continue speaking a Latin language, while in the area where the Franks outnumbered the Gallo-Romans, the people would end up speaking a Germanic language.

And when you say that you have "mediterranean" features, what do you mean? Like, describe your looks, hair color, etc.

And about the variety of French which you speak. Is the difference between French spoken in Belgium, and French spoken in France similar to the differences between Spanish spoken in Mexico and Spanish spoken in Spain? Or, is there a greater difference?
Guest   Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:14 pm GMT
" As I was saying at the start of this thread, for those who speak French, they are seen as "well educated", of a fine "class", "refined", "cultured", but Spanish seems to be like the "language of the slaves". "

I tend to find it surprising that you seem to say that french is associated with class, refinement and culture. we tend to associate these images with Italians more than with ourselves.
Is it really the way French language is seen in the US ? I was not aware of the positive image that french seems to have compared with spanish.
It is strange because on the other way we tend to think that the French are looked down by Americans and considered as a poor romance people.
Also the french people in American movies are often described as rural people, un-modern and quite old-fashionned. Is it a popular image ? Or is it more the "high class" image of the rich districts of Paris ?
Guest   Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
" for the numbers 70 and 90 for exemple, in france it's different that here, switzerland and I think canada, but the french one is the standard and learned abroad "

Not for Canada. In Quebec the people use "soixante-dix" and "quatre-vingt-dix" as in france. But in Switzerland and Belgium they use "septante" and "nonante", which is much more logical !
Quebw   Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
cd
fab   Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
LAA, your obsession of "ethnic" physionomy will never tooks end...
the better you could do is going to Europe and being suprised by the diversity that a "traditional" population can have in most regions.

what change is not the ethny, but the frequency of individual characteristics in proportions. I personally have found Belgian walloon population to have less "nordic-looking people" than their flemish coumpatriots, but on the other side I found Wallons to have a much higher proportion of pale/blue eyed/blond people than in France (about as in Lille). But when speaking about cities is is so mixed...
Aldvm   Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:39 pm GMT
<<Also the french people in American movies are often described as rural people, un-modern and quite old-fashionned. >>

I'd say as well Latin Americans, Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, etc, etc, etc. Just don't believe in USs' movies.
Jason   Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:12 pm GMT
ALDVS wrote: ""To answer your question, eloquently. Anglos of the U.S are naive of geography, most Americans don't even know that Africa "a fourth-world country" some* SPEAK French. Americans (U.S) think they have it bad with the Latin-americans, THINK again! ""

Sorry to be the one to tell you Aldvs, but Africa is a continent NOT a country. You may want to learn that before you "eloquently" bash Americans for what they do not know.
LAA   Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 pm GMT
<<I tend to find it surprising that you seem to say that french is associated with class, refinement and culture. we tend to associate these images with Italians more than with ourselves. >>

That is probably because France has traditionally looked to Italy as a source of reference for fine cuisine, art, etc. The French look to the Italians for such things, and the English and other Anglophones look to the French. Italian-French-Anglo. That's how it works it seems.

<<Is it really the way French language is seen in the US ? I was not aware of the positive image that french seems to have compared with spanish. >>

Yes, this is the case. The French language has such a "positive image", but most Americans are not that fond of the French. But Americans do usually see all things French as romantic and refined, and sophisticated. Another popular stereotype of the French here in the U.S., is that France is a nation of effeminate cowards, who don't have the stomach for war. I don't claim that to be the case, but it is a popular stereotype here. Until a couple of months ago, you could put a search in on google called "list of French military victories", and it would come back asking if you meant to say "French military *defeats*".

<<LAA, your obsession of "ethnic" physionomy will never tooks end>>

My question was not addressed to you. I asked Pauline.

Fab, what is your opinion of the French spoken in Belgium?
a.p.a.m.   Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:33 pm GMT
Tiffany "apam's overtly racist. cultural-difference-fearing "average" people"
Tiffany, you don't know me, don't you ever accuse me of being racist. Do me and everybody else on this board a big favor. Keep your self-righteous, sanctimonious attitude to yourself. You come across as a moralizing, holier than thou authority, and to be quite honest with you, it's rather nauseating, and I'm sure most of the people on these forums feel the same way. Quit preaching. If you want to participate in these forums, fine. Don't come across as an obnoxious, arrogant, know-it-all anymore. Nobody's impressed.
greg   Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:18 am GMT
Brennus : « La Grande Dépression était certainement une des causes de la deuxième guerre mondiale aussi. Pourtant, Hitler a utilisé le problème juif pour unir les gens allemands autour de lui parce qu'il était quelque chose que la plupart d'entre eux ont été d'accord. »

Certes, Hitler était un malade mental — mais tout de même assez lucide pour détecter et exploiter l'ignorance crasse, les frustrations et les haines les plus viles. Il ne faut pourtant pas se tromper : comme tous les dictateurs, Hitler a construit son empire en utilisant la TERREUR et le CRIME. C'est parce qu'il a d'abord terrorisé les Allemands (juifs et non-juifs) et érigé le crime en système (assassinat des infirmes et "asociaux") qu'il est parvenu, par la suite, à déclencher une guerre et exterminer les juifs d'Europe.

Brennus : « Il y a certainement beaucoup d'antisemitisme dans les États-Unis et le Canada aussi et j'ai personnellement connu certains Américains et Canadiens qui aiment calomnier des juifs. Pourtant, jusqu'à maintenant, rien comme l'holocauste ne s'est produit dans ces pays. »

Tant mieux ! Il ne faudrait quand même pas non plus oublier le génocide et la dépossession des Amérindiens ainsi que l'esclavagisme et la ségrégation dont les Noirs ont été victimes.
Tiffany   Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:47 am GMT
I was not the one who tried to tell people that Americans are "racist" and "unaccepting" and then that Europeans were more "tolerant" and "sophisticated". I only responded.

If you don't want your views to be challenged, do yourself a favor and don't post them on a public forum, simple as that.

As for preaching, since racism is a subject I feel very strongly about, I wouldn't rule it out. I am no authority, but I do think I've studied this issue at more depth than most. To be quite honest, I find it nauseating when people stereotype others, so it should come as no surprise that I'm annoyed.

But let's get this straight, I never accused you of being racist, I accused you of stereotyping and being prejudiced. No, it's not the same thing as being racist if you care to look it up.

In your quote: <<Tiffany "apam's overtly racist. cultural-difference-fearing "average" people" >>, you misquoted me. This is a comma where you have placed a period. This is the true quote: <<apam's overtly racist, cultural-difference-fearing "average" people. >> and it is describing your stereotype, not saying that you are racist.

To the "sanctimonious" description, prove that I am a hypocrite, or don't use words you don't understand. I believe and practice everything I've said about prejudice.

<<If you want to participate in these forums, fine>> This forum is open to all. I am not under the impression that I'm here to impress anybody. I try to stay on topic, but I don't mind debating with others on their beliefs if they choose to post them and in return stating my own. If you have a problem with criticism, once again, do not post on a public forum.
LAA   Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:03 pm GMT
Pauline,

I would like to re-emphasize that I am not the man in that picture. That guy looks like a nerd. And yes. Most people stereotype me as Spanish, Portuguese, Italian. Some people think I look French also. The only indication that I am half Welsh/English is the fact that I have blond highlights in my hair.
Pauline   Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
Hallo LAA,

You would like to listen belgian french and paris frnech, so i have a suggestion for you : you can find the radio stations. I have looked up belgian international radio, ( rtbf )

http://www.rtbf.be/index.htm

but it's possible receive this only in europe and Africa I think. here is another belgain radio, but it has music, so you can't listen well the language :

http://fr.radiocontact.be/

you can search for the french radio also, probably you cna listen it online.