Why do people look down on Spanish?

a.p.a.m.   Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:50 pm GMT
"apam's overtly racist cultural-difference-fearing "average people". You DID imply that I'm a racist. I am not one. Don't you dare to ever imply that. Once again, you don't know me. You act like you are the moderator on this board. I've got news for you. There's one moderator and it ain't you.
Tiffany   Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
Please tell me how I ever implied I was the moderator of this board? Am I threatening to erase people's messages if they violate the rules? Or just because I think something is off-topic? Sorry if my opinion offends you, but it's hardly implying I am the moderator. I wouldn't want to be either. Brennus has got a very tough job, kudos to him for taking it on.

Once again, I never called you racist, or even implied it. You accuse me of things you can't back up. If you would like proof of the stereotyping I accused you of, look no further:

<<I believe that Europeans are more tolerant of different cultures than Americans. I also believe that Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans. The average American is a self-centered, self-indulgent ignoramus who cannot locate his/her own country on a world map. Many of my fellow countrymen espouse racial, religious, and cultural hatred.>>

I have no trouble providing what I accused you of. Go ahead and provide your own evidence of me accusing you of being racist, or even implying you were. You won't find it because it isn't there. You will find evidence of me saying and implying that you were stereotyping - because that's what I accused you of.

Being racist, for your information, is stereotyping and prejudging someone on his or her race. You stereotyped and prejudged people based on their nationality and affiliation. Now, where did I accuse or imply that you were racist and based your stereotypes and prejudices on race? Make your case if you want to keep accusing me of it.

<<You DID imply that I'm a racist. I am not one. Don't you dare to ever imply that.>>

Don't you worry yourself, I never did.

<<apam's overtly racist, cultural-difference-fearing "average" people. >>
You keep quoting this line (albiet taking the original comma out every time - why?) To explain to you once again, this line does not say you are racist or imply that you based your stereotypes on race. It simply says you've called other people racist. <<apam's>> does not mean "apam is" it stands for apam pssessive. Read it in context. You'll find it is the only way that sentence makes sense.
Benjamin   Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:48 pm GMT
Just in case a.p.a.m. still doesn't get it, here is a rephrased version of Tiffany's sentence that s/he keeps misinterpreting:

« apam's overtly racist, cultural-difference-fearing "average" people. »

Rephrased: 'a.p.a.m. has described "average" people as overtly racist and afraid of cultural differences.

It does NOT mean 'a.p.a.m. is an "average" person who is overtly racist and afraid of cultural differences'.
JR   Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:33 pm GMT
A.p.a.m>"You act like you are the moderator on this board. I've got news for you. There's one moderator and it ain't you."

I agree with A.p.a.m, it's undeniable true that tiffany unconsiously or consciously likes to imply rules (to some extent) and dictate unjustly on Antimoon (a.k.a, make people seem incompetent and mundane) under her will. I would agree with tiffany, that these threads often get misguided and off-topic. Because, people are people (so why should it be narrow-minded?) Anyhow, these are my 2cents.
Tiffany   Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:08 am GMT
JR, I am truly sorry if you feel I am making people seem incompetent and mundane. This was never my intention, as everyone is competent enough to post on a public forum. However I will question what people write here, just as they can question what I post. I don't feel I unjustly criticize.

I like to think that the rules I follow and imply others should follow are the rules that are posted in "about this forum." What rules do you think I imply should be followed that are not listed there?

As for apam accusing me of things I never did - well, I don't take lightly to that, and yes my replies to it have been harsh.

What do you mean by narrow-minded? That it should be expected that because people are people, they will go off-topic? I agree, but I think we should try to keep it to a minimum as Brennus has warned others about going off-topic before. Why not save him some work?
J   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 am GMT
I feel that people in the USA look down on Spanish because they do not want to aknowledge the fact that they live in occupied Mexican territory. They don't want to admit the Spanish were the first vessels of western civilization into the west. I don't know why they don't want to admit it, but they don't.

English is as foreign in California as it is in Spain. It doesnt belong there. Its presence was the result of invasion. Revisionist like to stay that there was nothing there, but there was.

The same thing in Israel today. They Israelis love English or say French, but hate Arabic, a language that has been spoken in Israel for millenia.

Spanish should be an officical language, alongside English, in the US federal government.
Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
English is as foreign in California as it is in Spain.

Only native American languages are not foreign.
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:51 pm GMT
To quote Michael Cane, there are only two kinds of people I can't stand.
Those who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Dutch.

I was just kidding by the way.
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:07 pm GMT
Pauline,

You know what is strange? As an English speaker, I couldn't really notice a difference between the way the narrarator spoke French, and the French which I am used to hearing. But, the speakers which were interviewed sounded a little odd. Perhaps the narrarator is from France? The people who were interviewed, sounded a little more harsh than the French I'm used to hearing. It sounded like they had a slight Celtic accent or something. Perhaps there are historical reasons for that, as the people of southern Belgium were Celtic speaking prior to Romanization. But it's certainly preferable to the language the Flemings speak, lol. But I know you like Germanic languages, so for you this might not be the case. You and I are the opposite. You're a native Romance speaker, and you like Germanic languages. I'm a native Germanic speaker, and I like Romance languages. You really should study something like Italian. As a francophone, you should be able to learn Italian in less than a year I would think.
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:43 pm GMT
Hello LAA,

<< To quote Michael Cane, there are only two kinds of people I can't stand. Those who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Dutch. >>

Michael Cane said this ??? LOL !!! I'm wondering what our 'friend' sander think about it ;-)

It's not strange that you can't notice a difference ; standard french has little variation -just some words, verbs, pronunciations. i suppose, that belgian french is influenced by the walloon langauge. this was the mother tongue of walloons until standard french replaced it, but it is a langauge with more influence of germanic and celtic. this cna be seen for exemple in the word order.
<< You and I are the opposite. You're a native Romance speaker, and you like Germanic languages. I'm a native Germanic speaker, and I like Romance languages. You really should study something like Italian. As a francophone, you should be able to learn Italian in less than a year I would think. >>

this is not completely true, because I didn't never wrote that i prefer the germanic langauegs than the romance ; i find them very interesting, and they have a beauty what's not sufficiently recognised because it's a different character that the beauty of the romance lanaguages.it's like the countryside - everyone want to go to the sunshine, beaches and south europe, but why it's preferable ? i think the northern lands have great beauty and a very interetsing history also. for me, one isn't superior, and anyway, between the germanic / romance themself there's diversity and this is nice to dicover.why people wlays are trying to put everything inot a fixed category ?

I agree, italian is very elegant and a great langauge. I can't learn all the languages !!! I'm allowed only 4h foreign language lessons at school, because i've elected to study science (not languages ) and also, there's a maximum for me because i have to avoid stress. perhaps, in the fture i will learn italian :-)
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:54 pm GMT
And perhaps in the future, I will learn German!

<<Michael Cane said this ??? LOL !!! I'm wondering what our 'friend' sander think about it ;-) >>

Well, he said as a character in the third Austin Powers movie. It was a joke, because he contradicted himself. Maybe you don't get the joke, because I suppose it would be a little subtle for a non-native English speaker.

I just think that Germanic languages sound better for Rock music. To me, English is the king of any Rock music. In any other language, it just sounds like a cheap imitation. But, other than English, I find most Germanic languages to be harsh and crude sounding, while Romance tounges sound so sweet, soft, and elegant. But, I might learn German in university, as there are 80 million Germans, lol! But Italian and Spanish I love. I like French a lot too, just not to the same extent as the former two. And Portuguese just sounds strange I think.
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
I can undertsnad the joke ! sory, sometimes i'm not very focussed on what i'm thinking LOL !

German's very fun to learn, and the culture is interestign also.
Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:30 pm GMT
»»»I just think that Germanic languages sound better for Rock music. To me, English is the king of any Rock music. In any other language, it just sounds like a cheap imitation. But, other than English, I find most Germanic languages to be harsh and crude sounding, while Romance tounges sound so sweet, soft, and elegant. But, I might learn German in university, as there are 80 million Germans, lol!»»

Now what has this gibberish got to do with the topic ( Look down on Spanish)? How come if on the german thread there is only the slightest deviation, warnings are forthwith issued and threats against the thread are barked?
Two measures, double standards? Why not simply forbid non English threads?
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:42 pm GMT
Why is it very fun to learn, and what's so particularly interesting about German culture? Anglophones have achieved much more than Germans.
Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
To the Guest above,

The same just happened to the Portuguese Thread. I think that LAA, the well known protegé of Brennus, should be invited to write in every thread, so that it will not be deleted.

Brennus,

Your way of moderating seems quite random. I still (I am not alone here) don't understand it.

By the way, LAA, you don't have any idea of what you are talking about, do you?... hopefully I don't get an insult as an answer this time.

>Why is it very fun to learn, and what's so particularly interesting about German culture? Anglophones have achieved much more than Germans.

The Guest