Why do people look down on Spanish?

Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
for me, all the languages and cultures are interesting.

for breunns only thsoe who he can undertsnad are interesting, he's limited because he undertsnad only :

english
latin
french

possibly he can read :
spanish
portuguese

it's a pity for him to be so stupid.,

Good bye.
Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
<< Why not simply forbid non English threads? >>

if you wriet in :
english
french
spanish
portaugese --- it will be acceopted

if you write in :
german
dutch
other languages not spoken by pseudo-intelectuals --- it will be deleted
Benjamin   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
« Why is it very fun to learn, and what's so particularly interesting about German culture?

As I say, I didn't like German at first, but then I got really into it. Neither my parents nor I had ever considered going to Germany before, but then we went and we loved it. This is somewhat irrelevant, but I love the way that every German person I've ever met has assumed that I'm basically just the same as them, even though my German isn't very good and even though I don't have a German passport. And I love the way that Germans in general don't make me feel ugly and inadequate, LOL. ;)

« Anglophones have achieved much more than Germans. »

Well, there are a lot more Anglophones than there are Germanophones in the world. But on a European scale, I'd put Germany above Britain for both modern-day influence and historical achievement.
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
<<Well, there are a lot more Anglophones than there are Germanophones in the world. But on a European scale, I'd put Germany above Britain for both modern-day influence and historical achievement. >>

Music, pop culture, movies, etc. - U.S. dominates on the global scene. Points to the Anglophones.

Technology, finance, science, etc. - U.S. (anglophones) dominates again, along with Britain, although Germany also has many achievements in this area.

Martial Prowess/historical geo-political influence, etc. - Anglophones win by a long shot. Britain and the U.S. defeated Germany and her allies in both World Wars. Britain developed the greatest multi continental formal empire the world has ever seen, establishing the Pax Britannica, and the U.S. is the greatest power the world has ever seen, with one-third of the globe's industrial production, and over half of the globe's military might, with strategic informal control over nearly the entire world. Germany was always second best to Britain, and later to the U.S.

And Guest,

Once again, you are to cowardly to overtly complain or criticize others under your actual name. Perhaps you should call your alter-ego the "Cowardly Lion".

How is your German coming along Benjamin? Do you know the past tense and future tense of most verbs? And doesn't German have a slightly different sentence structure from English? I noticed the word order is different in some cases.
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
how about Goethe, Mozart (austrian but german-speaker) Nietzsche, albert schweitzer, JS Bach, etc.................the list is exremely long of german-speaking people who've contributed great things to this world.

anyway, why you must study the langaueg of who has achieved more. also, how can you exaclty say, what *is* achiev more ??? Dominate everything ?? then germany and anglophones try for sure LOL !!
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
LAA, two guest messages I've wrote. i was very upset and angry so i didn't rememberd to put my name. sorry.
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
Germanophones have indeed contributed much to history by way of musical composition, advances in chemistry and engineering, and other areas, yes. But, overall, I think Anglophones have achieved more. I would like to mention that I only started this portion of this discussion in response to Benjamin's claim that Germany has achieved more than Britain or Anglophones.
LAA   Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:50 pm GMT
Oh, and I forgot to include geographical exploration, and global colonial development, the geographical growth of the language, and the number of speakers of each respective language. Again, Anglophones win by a long shot over Germanophones.

Pauline,
A people's historical achievements have nothing to do with the desirability of learning a foreign tounge. Neither I, nor Benjamin made that claim.
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:04 pm GMT
LAA,

german is fun to leanr, i can't exactly tell you why. it has a certain beauty. i've discoevred recently some german poerty and it's atmospheric, evocatiev.

i fidn it a difficult, compliacted langauge, but stylish. difficult to explain you why !!! It has more depth that ducth or english.
Pauline   Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:06 pm GMT
anyway, i will not visit here again. it was very fun to meet the people I've chatted with :-)

Bye.
Benjamin   Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
« Britain developed the greatest multi continental formal empire the world has ever seen »

I'm not sure that I view this as an 'achievement'. However, I do believe that at the present time, on a European scale, Germany has more influence than Britain (partly because it's bigger).

Anyway, this conversation is irrelevant, because we all know that Unitarians have *proportionally* achieved far more than Anglophones and Germanophones put together. ;)

« How is your German coming along Benjamin? Do you know the past tense and future tense of most verbs? »

I know all the tenses for weak (regular) verbs. I'm currently going through my virtually complete list of strong verbs, which I hope to have learnt within a few weeks.

« And doesn't German have a slightly different sentence structure from English? I noticed the word order is different in some cases. »

Yes. Here's an example of an English sentence:

I have baked a cake in the kitchen today because I wanted something to eat.

Translated into German:

Ich habe heute in der Küche einen Kuchen gebacken, weil ich etwas essen wollte.

Translated *literally* into English:

I have today in the kitchen a cake baked, because I something eat wanted.
Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:27 pm GMT
LAA wrote:
I would like to mention that I only started this portion of this discussion in response to Benjamin's claim that Germany has achieved more than Britain or Anglophones.

But he forgot that only two hours before he had wrote:
Why is it very fun to learn, and what's so particularly interesting about German culture? Anglophones have achieved much more than Germans.

So, you didn't start the portion of this discussion. Either you have Alzheimer, or you should double-check, addressed to whom the word "coward" would suit better.

and finally,
Perhaps you should call your alter-ego the "Cowardly Lion".

....Childish. Pathetic. Ridiculous. But if the price of growing up you have chosen is exposing yourself to the public ridiculous then go ahead. I wish you luck.

The Guest

The Guest
Guest   Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:53 am GMT
LAA said: “ Britain developed the greatest multi continental formal empire the world has ever seen, establishing the Pax Britannica, and the U.S. is the greatest power the world has ever seen”

Are you proud of your country shattering bloods of innocent people, invading and taking others lands to dominate the world?

No wonder why you people still vote for Bush and his followers like Tony Blair!
Guest   Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:55 am GMT
the guest above is different from the guest at the top
Aldvm   Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:23 am GMT
<<Music, pop culture, movies, etc. - U.S. dominates on the global scene. Points to the Anglophones. Technology, finance, science, etc. - U.S. (anglophones) dominates again, along with Britain, although Germany also has many achievements in this area. >>

LAA what the heck does all this nonsense have to do with languages ? Why do some of you insist over and over again about what should be the "best one" based on absurd and superficial "arguments" ?