What does "trim" mean?

moonlight   Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:43 am GMT
<Social Security and Medicare costs are imposed heavily on workers via some tax (including the income tax), government borrowing (a.k.a. the deficit) and cuts in other government programs...

Even the tiny wage gains in future might be diluted by further tax increases (paid for the Social Security and Medicare costs )to trim today's already swollen budget deficits.>

What does "trim" mean?
Robin   Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 am GMT
<<I like the cut of your jib!>>
Guest   Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:43 am GMT
Robin, your explanation seems more difficult than my question.Could you give me a simpler answer?
Q   Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 am GMT
trim = cut--if you cut something you make it smaller
so in this context trim = to make smaller
Damian in London N2   Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:12 pm GMT
In the example you gave "trim" means to reduce the amount of money spent on the welfare budget; to cut back on costs.

In another sense the word can mean look neat and smart in appearance, or a slim and slender body, which would naturally make you look cool anyway.

It can also mean to shape an object (usually wood) by shaving at the edges and borders to make it the right size and shape.

It can also mean to decorate a Christmas tree, and the decorations generally can be called trimmings.

There are several other meanings as well, mostly connected with professions......nautical, films, etc...oh, and hairdressing as well (you hear older guys at the hairdressers simply asking for a "trim").
Robin   Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:31 am GMT
<<I like the cut of your jib!>>

It is a shame we cannot do searches for past topics, because <<I like the cut of your jib!>> was a past topic.

The reason why I gave such a difficult answer to your question, Mr Moonlight, was because I found it slightly annoying. But other people have risen to the challenge, so you have your answer.

trim: 'reduce'