marrying a french woman cuz you love french

Next_page   Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:14 pm GMT
Would you guys support the idea of getting married to someone who speaks a language that you love, but not necessarily like that person?
Tiffany   Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:17 pm GMT
NO.
Guest   Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:37 pm GMT
Yeah and once you know enough French you can divorce her.
Tiffany   Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:02 pm GMT
Question: If one loves the french language so much, why not just go live in France?!
SpaceFlight   Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:18 pm GMT
<<Would you guys support the idea of getting married to someone who speaks a language that you love, but not necessarily like that person?>>

Definitely not.
Geoff_One   Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:50 pm GMT
The subject factor may contribute in a minor way (say up to 20%), to the overall decision. It can certainly tip the balance one way or the other.
Uriel   Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 am GMT
You might want to conversely ask yourself why a person you don't love is consenting to marry YOU, and what THEIR hidden agenda is.
Davis'   Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:15 pm GMT
marrying a french woman cuz you love french fries

:)
bernard   Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:42 pm GMT
" Would you guys support the idea of getting married to someone who speaks a language that you love, but not necessarily like that person? "

the inverse question could be interesting: "could you marry a young french woman that you love, even if you hate her language/hate french people and culture in general ? "
Geoff_One   Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:31 am GMT
One can be cured of hating the French language (Say from the point of view of an English speaker who doesn't like French). This can be achieved
by sending, for say a year, the person in question to a place in the world where the language spoken is much much further from English than French is. In this same place, the local people very quickly freeze you out if you don't speak their language. The person in question will come to realize, at least language wise, that it is far better to be in France and in
all probability they will come to think that the opportunity to learn French
is a luxury. Learning French is likely to lessen their hatred of French people and culture.

This supports the case that the second situation (espoused in the inverse question) is not as bad as the first.
greg   Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:48 am GMT
Quelle étrange question ! C'est dommage d'épouser quelqu'un qui n'est pas l'être aimé.
Joan   Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:15 am GMT
I could imagine marrying a French woman for HER way to speak French, never for French itself. A woman's voice can be attractive, you know...
Sander   Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:25 am GMT
Is this question meant to be serious?
Cro Magnon   Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:01 pm GMT
No way! I could see the reverse; learning French because you were in love with a French woman.
Bruno   Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:32 am GMT
Bonjour,

I'm French, and I was wondering why do you find that French language is so beautiful ?

I mean i won't marry someone juste because she speaks English, Italian or German ( OMG it's maybe the worst ... )... But YOU you will with French ?