The British are descended from the Spaniards

Joey   Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am GMT
LAA
(You mean in the etymology of the name? No. At least not in English or other Germanic langauges. The word "Wales" in English comes from a Germanic word which meant "foreigner" or "slave", and it was used as a derogatory name for non-Germanic peoples, which included the Latin peoples and Celtic peoples. This is where we get names like "Wallonia", "Walachia", and "Wales". In Spanish, and other Latin languages like French, the name for Wales is "Pais de Gales", which literally means "Celtic country". And the word for "Celt" (from Greek "Keltoi) in Latin is "Gaul". The etymology of this word is linked with our animal friend the rooster. That is why to this day, the national symbol of France is the cock, and "Gallo" is the Spanish word for rooster.)

Do the Spanish countries have the rooster as a national or regional symbol?
Guest   Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:12 am GMT
There is only one Spanish country.
Gringo   Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 am GMT
««And the word for "Celt" (from Greek "Keltoi) in Latin is "Gaul". »»

In my dictionary:

Latin-English
celtae= celt
celticus = celtic
Gallia= Gaul
Gallicus= (people) from Gaul
Gallus= (people) from Gaul
Gallaeci=people from Gallaecia
Gallaecia= Galicia

Gallohispanus= Gaul born in Hispania.

The word for "Celt" in Latin is :Celtae
LAA   Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:59 pm GMT
The alternative word for "Celt" is linked with "Gaul", which is why almost all of the lands inhabited by Celts were called "Gaul" in Latin. "Cisalpine Gaul", "Transalpine Gaul", "Galatia", etc.

Gringo,

As usual, you've gone way off the mark with your superficial color blindness. But, I do agree with you in that it is ludicrous to say that the Welsh descend from the Spanish, when there wasn't even a conceviable idea of "Spaniards" at that point in history. The title of the article was just used to catch people's attention, as most people wouldn't be interested in the ancient "Iberians".

You see, this whole thing about the Celts looking different from the English is subject to question. I have never been to the British Isles, so I can only speak from personal experience and from watching tv. Generally speaking, it seems like the English are more brunnete than the commonly blond Dutch, Scandanavians, and other Germanic speaking peoples. But at the same time, most English people don't carry the dark features that are common to the Irish, Welsh, and some Scottish. Think about icons like Sean Connerry, George Clooney, Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffud, and Catherine Zeta Jones. They all have light skin, but they are dark featured. But most British people tell me that the English look pretty much the same as the Celtic folk. And in personal experience, I have found that the English I have met (possibly a few hundred) are shorter than Continental Germanic speaking peoples, and there is a lower frequency of light features among them (blond hair, blue eyes, etc.).
Aldvm   Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
The same old song!
LAA   Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
But no, I don't think any *Hispanic* countries have the rooster as a national symbol, but I could be wrong. But France and Wallonia do.
Gringo   Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm GMT
LAA
««As usual, you've gone way off the mark with your superficial color blindness.»»

So I go over the top but you keep not distinguishing looks from languages.
I think it was ridiculous to give a skin colour to the Iberians when no one knows what was their skin colour.
It is ridiculus to say that the darker tones of the British were caused by the Iberian migration.

You have to agree that the "Chinese", the "Mongol", the Celt, the Germanic they all looked so alike at one time in history. The time in history this thread is about , the time of migrations.

««The title of the article was just used to catch people's attention, as most people wouldn't be interested in the ancient "Iberians".»»

No, it is because most people have no idea of who were the ancient Iberians, the ones from the east (caucasian-Iberia) or the ones from the west. But most people heard of the Spanish people even if they can not locate them in the map.

««You see, this whole thing about the Celts looking different from the English is subject to question.»»
««But most British people tell me that the English look pretty much the same as the Celtic folk. »»

What Celts ? Modern Celts or ancient Celts? There is a difference.
And what has the looks got to do with the language? They do not speak a Celtic language.

««Think about icons like Sean Connerry, George Clooney, Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffud, and Catherine Zeta Jones. They all have light skin, but they are dark featured.»»

Think ? And what could have caused their darker features? Their not Celtic language?

Great, you know the skin types of all British ancestor´s tribes.
Adam   Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
The Welsh are a bit darker than the English.
greg   Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:50 pm GMT
Brennus : réveil !

Quel est le rapport avec les langues ou la linguistique ?

Was hat dieses Thema mit Sprachen und Sprachenwissenschaft zu tun ?
LAA   Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
Greg,
<<Was hat dieses Thema mit Sprachen und>>

Literally, this would be translated "What has this to do with speaking and", correct?

What does "thema" literally mean?
Guest   Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:12 pm GMT
<<LAA — search for 'Anglish' on the internet. >>

Do you mean 'Anglish' the Anglonic con-lang or 'Anglish' as in the rendering of the first few lines of Hamlets aside in an unromanced English by Paul Jennings (albeit not very successful as he forgot to replace 'outrageous'?
Guest   Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:15 pm GMT
<<Greg,
<<Was hat dieses Thema mit Sprachen und>>

Literally, this would be translated "What has this to do with speaking and", correct?

What does "thema" literally mean? >>

I think it means subject, topic, or 'Theme'. He is asking what does this subject have to do with language or linguistics?
Guest   Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 pm GMT
<<You mean in the etymology of the name? No. At least not in English or other Germanic langauges. The word "Wales" in English comes from a Germanic word which meant "foreigner" or "slave", and it was used as a derogatory name for non-Germanic peoples, which included the Latin peoples and Celtic peoples. This is where we get names like "Wallonia", "Walachia", and "Wales". >>

The 'wall' in 'Cornwall also comes from the same Germanic root.
greg   Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:39 pm GMT
Brennus : désolé d'insister !

Quel est le rapport avec les langues ou la linguistique ?

Was hat dieses Thema mit Sprachen und Sprachenwissenschaft zu tun ?
Adam   Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
The Welsh word for "Wales" is "Cymru", which is pronouced like "kumree".

The Welsh word for "Englishman" is "Sais" which is also the word for "Saxon".

The English name for the British Principaliy - "Wales" - originates from the Anglo-Saxon word "Walha", meaning "stranger" or "foreigner", probably derived from the name Volcae.

As the Celts of Gaul were Romanized, the word changed its meaning to "Romanic people", as is still apparent in the name of the Walloons of Belgium, Wallachia in Romania, as well as the "-wall" of Cornwall. The Welsh themselves called themselves Cymry, "compatriots", and named their country Cymru, which is thought to have meant "Land of the Compatriots" in Old Welsh; this has reference to their awareness that they were the original countrymen of Wales, and indeed Britain by virtue of their ancestors the Brythoniaid (Brythons), and also in order to distinguish themselves from the foreign invaders of Britain, the Saeson (English). There is also a mediaeval legend found in the Historia Regum Britanniae of Sieffre o Fynwy (Geoffrey of Monmouth) that derives it from the name Camber, son of Brutus and, according to the legend, the eponymous King of Cymru (Cambria in Latin); this however was largely the fruit of Geoffrey's vivid imagination. Cumberland and Cumbria in the north of England derive their names from the same Old Welsh word.