.... a demeaning one at that !

myself   Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:07 pm GMT
I just read in a magazine the following sentence :

"Calling one’s mate stupid, lazy, or selfish implies that his or her entire character can be summed up by a label - a demeaning one at that !"

Can someone please explain to me the meaning of the last two words : "at that".

Thank you.

myself
JW   Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:27 pm GMT
Myself,
It is an idiom and in this particular sentence it means something like "in addition" or "besides." For more information visit this site and scroll down a bit until you see the entry for "at that."

And if you need any assistence on understanding what an idiom is (I assumed in my explanation that you knew), just ask.
JW   Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
Sorry. I forgot to provide the link that I so enthusiastically offered. Here you are: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/at+that
Box of Pandora   Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:40 am GMT
I could argue about that sentence, because I have other ideas. First of all let us be realistic. As a male which part of yourself you don't like it? Should I ask? Of course - your female. You don't like to be vulnerable, tears are for women, and everything what comes with that female part. So probably , I'm not so 100 % sure some male hate their female part of themselves.
myself   Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
Hi JW

Thank you so much for your kind help. I understand now the meaning of "at that", when put at the end of a sentence.

I am appreciating your sound explanation. I hope that one day I will be proud of my being perfectly bilingual (French-English).

Cheers.

myself
JW   Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:51 pm GMT
You are very welcome. Also, since this is a language forum, I think it is not overly punctilious to point out that it sounds more natural to say "I appreciate" than "I am appreciating."

Cheers to you, and Godspeed on your journey to bilingualism,
JW
Robin   Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
I found 'Box of Pandora's' entry interesting, and I read it twice. I am not quite sure what question it was answering. This sort of reply must be the bane of examiners.

A standard answer, that the student gives regardless of the question. The answer is very impressive, but what was the question?

It certainly had me looking for my female bits!

This is the bit that I like most:

<<<As a male which part of yourself you don't like it?>>>

Well actually, I am fond of all my bits, and I am very pleased that when I was a young male none of them was cut off in a religious ceremony!
Guest   Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
<<Well actually, I am fond of all my bits, and I am very pleased that when I was a young male none of them was cut off in a religious ceremony! >>

Is that your sense of humour, Robin dearie? In my humble opinion, you should also enroll in a course: sense of humour 420
Box of Pandora   Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:42 pm GMT
well, it's not so bad, isn't it. If we look at the bright side we can say that it's some sort of joke. It depends on recepient. For someone is funy for someone it's not so funy. Back to the question. Men for sure have to be proud from theirselves, that they were born men. So in society when everyone is equal, but sometimes men are more equal.
Guest   Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
Box of Pandora

I would suggest you to take these courses.
* Proper Grammar 101.
* Proper Punctuation 204.
* Proper spelling 305. (In your case it is mandatory).
Box of Pandora   Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
I would suggest you to go away. Just to go away, Mr All knows Guest. Do not even for a while look at what I'm writting otherwise I'm going to battering over the internet. I'm completely good in that, you have to be sure.
Mary   Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:14 am GMT
Do you ever get that feeling that the people replying to your posts are really just bots? The posts look like regular sentences because the words are strung together using familiar grammatical structures. But do these posts really say anything? If they do, is it relevant? Does it make sense?

> As a male which part of yourself you don't like it? Should I ask? Of course - your female.

Is there a stream of thought here? Where did it start, and where is it flowing?

> I could argue about that sentence, because I have other ideas. First of all let us be realistic.

I could randomly insert these sentences anywhere in any document. "Some weather we're having, huh? How 'bout that local sports team?"

Box of Pandora reminds me of the applet at http://www.jabberwacky.com/ : sure, you can reply to it, but after awhile you'll feel like an idiot talking to a brick wall.
Box of Pandora   Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:41 am GMT
Mary, do you know how I seems to care about my broken english? I don't give even a penny.
Mary   Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
Box of Pandora,
Of course I am not complaining about your broken English on a forum for ESL students. It's the content (or lack of it) of your posts that I am poking fun at.
Box of Pandora   Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Mary,
You took it too serious.
But to be honest I could not understand (....demeaning one of that ) too. So I thought that if it's written somewhere in magazine that, there must be explanation of that. May be we should ask 'myself' to give us whole that article, I'm a little bit curious what is about it.