Assistance in Russian Translation

Ken Quimby   Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:54 pm GMT
I recently purchased a Russian made die-cast airplane model and am trying to translate the words on the package.

I have tried my hand at typing the package text in russian - can anyone help me understand what it is saying?

Text is reproduced below.

Thank you very much in advance. Ken

Самоиет-штурмовикк Ил-2 одна из самых популярных боевых машин Великой Отеуественной войны. генеральный конструктор самолета - Ильюшин Сергей Владимирович. Ил-2 бронированный самолет - предна-значался для поддержки наземных войск, зффективной борьбы с танками иротивника. На самолетах Ил-2 воевали 847 героев Советкого Союза.
Ken Quimby   Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
Thanks for the link. Had already attempted the online translation - and got app 60% of the text figured out ( at least word by word - and then attempted to construct the sentence.)

However - a number of the words were not recognized via translation. Either I entered the text (via russian keyboard) incorrectly, or the word itself is not a "standard" word, i.e. slang etc.

Thank you again for the link - and if anyone else sees this and can make sense of it - I would be greatly appreciative! -Ken
Vera   Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
Ken Quimby,

Here you are:

Самолет-штурмовик Ил-2 одна из самых популярных боевых машин Великой Отечественной войны. генеральный конструктор самолета - Ильюшин Сергей Владимирович. Ил-2 бронированный самолет - предназначался для поддержки наземных войск, зффективной борьбы с танками противника. На самолетах Ил-2 воевали 847 героев Советского Союза.

Il-2 attack plane was one of the most popular machines of the Great Patriotic War. Sergey Il’yushin was the chief designer of the plane. Il-2 armored plane was intended for support to land troops and efficient struggle against enemy’s tanks. 847 Heroes of the Soviet Union fighted on Il-2 planes.

Was glad to help. May I ask you where are you from? (I am curious, where our plane models are available?)
Ken Quimby   Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
Vera - Thank you for your most generous translation! I had been able to decipher a few of the words, but not all, and was having difficulty with the syntax. Thanks again for your assistance.

I operate an aviation/aerospace museum and acquired the model as part of a larger collection of aviation memorabilia. I am still processing the collection, so there may be additional models contained therein. At present, I am not aware of locations where these type of models are commercially available, except perhaps the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

On another note, there is another portion of the packaging that contains some words I cannot translate. Would you be interested in helping me with those as well? I greatly appreciate your assistance - but also do not wish to "wear out my welcome." Let me know if you are willing to assist.

Thanks again! -Ken
Guest   Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
That was nice
Vera   Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 pm GMT
Ken,

It was all my pleasure and I will gladly help you with the other models. If you believe it might be interesting for other "forumers", we may proceed here, but I'd rather do it by e-mail (if your e-mail supports Cyrillics). If you need any help with translation, please feel free to use my home address: velevi@yandex.ru .

(Don't be shy: translation is my favourite occupation, though I'm not a professional. :)

Vera