Plural of computer mouse.

Stephen W.   Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
Do you (you specifically, not you generically) say "mice" or "mouses" for the plural of a computer mouse?
suzanne   Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:14 pm GMT
I have never used computer mouse in plural but as the plural of mouse is mice, so I would say computer mice. Sounds strange, though.
suzanne   Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
I have never used computer mouse in plural but as the plural of mouse is mice, so I would say computer mice. Sounds strange, though.
Stephen W.   Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:23 pm GMT
<<I have never used computer mouse in plural but as the plural of mouse is mice, so I would say computer mice. Sounds strange, though.>>

I'd generally say "computer mouses" using "mice" only for the rodent.
Lazar   Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
I think my preference would be for "mouses".
Q   Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 pm GMT
It's not often that one discusses multiple computer mice/mouses, but I think I prefer to say "mice"
Impurethinker   Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:32 am GMT
It's Mice. As a true blue computer geek I shall proclaim such.
Sho   Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:04 am GMT
Is mouses pronounced /maUsIz/, or /maUzIz/ like houses?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:53 am GMT
One of the techies at work always says "mouses".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/29/messages/981.html
Stephen W.   Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
<<Is mouses pronounced /maUsIz/, or /maUzIz/ like houses?>>

It's pronounced /maUsIz/.
matrix   Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:04 pm GMT
Hello everyone, I found this website a few days ago and have spent hours reading it! I just had to reply to this question.

Since the correct dictionary definition would state that the plural of mouse is mice (and because I'm a computer geek too), I ALWAYS say "computer mice" to refer to more than one. It sounded a bit strange at first, but now it sounds fine. However, some people tell me it sounds a bit odd.

Just following the rules of English...
Adam   Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
The plural of "computer mouse" is "computer mice."
Adam   Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:13 pm GMT
The computer mouse was invented by Douglas Engelbart of Stanford Research Institute in 1963. The very first ones were called "computer bugs" but because of their resemblance to those little furry creatures with long tails they later became known as "computer mice."

The very first computer mouse in 1963 - so primitive to our eyes that it defies belief - was little more than a brown, wooden block on top of two metal gear wheels perpendicular to one another. It was also quite large and bulky. But because it was on wheels the rotation of each wheel translated into motion along one axis.

The "ball mouse" - the type that most people used - was invented by a guy called Bill English in the early 1970s. This is a much better device because it means that the mouse can move in any direction due to the rotation of the ball underneath.
Jim   Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:56 pm GMT
I think I'd prefer "mice" but I can't recall ever using the plural.