Australian English.

Yorick   Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:37 am GMT
Sheesh...What would Adam have said if the Poms had lost the Ashes yet again?

Adam, old mate, we still drive on the same side of the road as you, we still play cricket, rugby (both codes), snooker and darts, and we don't need subtitles, even for re-runs of Taggart.

We even lent you Rod Marsh and didn't complain about all the South Africans in the "England" cricket team.

Hell, we've even replaced England with New Zealand on the "to be beaten at all costs" list. What more can we do to get you on side?
Adam   Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:02 pm GMT
"Hell, we've even replaced England with New Zealand on the "to be beaten at all costs" list. What more can we do to get you on side? "

Instead, it's the Poms now beating the Aussies at all costs.

We took the rugby World Cup off you in 2003, and the Ashes in 2005.
Just wait till the 2007 cricket World Cup.
Adam   Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:05 pm GMT
In fact, why do the Aussies call the English (or all the people of Britain) Poms?

No-one knows where the term originated, but rumour has it that it stands for "Prisoners Of His Majesty" in reference to the fact that the British once used Oz as the world's biggest open-air prison.

So because it's the Aussies who are descended from convicts, shouldn't that make the Aussies be the true Poms, and not the British?
Guest   Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:13 pm GMT
Because all the convicts were sent back to Northern England, especially in and around Lancashire, they bore the name "Pom".
Guest   Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:33 pm GMT
<<"Prisoners Of His Majesty">>

Then we're all POHMs then!! And besides "of" is hardly ever included in acronyms.
Rick Johnson   Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:47 pm GMT
<<Kangaroo is darker meat, much like steak in colour. I've only had it as a procuitto and it was *horrible*. Funny taste and texture.>>

Loads of supermarkets in Britain, started selling kangaroo meat in about 1995/96. I thought it was pretty good. Initially it has a texture similar to liver, but give it a good bashing and fry it in some butter and it goes down a treat with a bottle of Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon. Around the same time, I remember asking a girl from Perth, WA what she thought of Kangaroo and she gave me a look like I was thoroughly ignorant and thought that's what Aussies ate. From my point of view I did kind of assume that if Australian Kangaroo meat was in fridges at British supermarkets 12000 miles away, that the same would be true in Aus. Clearly the Australian government must have figured that the Poms would eat any old shit- and what's more, it would appear they were probably right.
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:29 pm GMT
Odd. We enjoy eating our native fauna. I grew up butchering deer in the back yard, plucking duck and goose, even cleaning squirrel (gah!) over the kitchen sink. Elk makes wonderful fajitas, and buffalo ain't bad either -- it's the meat of choice for people who want their red meat leaner than regular beef. There are even hybrid buffalo/cattle called beefalo that are raised for meat. And they say javelina taste just like pork, although they are not true pigs.
Tiffany   Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:43 pm GMT
Anyone tried doves? How about oxtail? I'm sure someone here has eaten goat. Jamaican culture. Yum!
Sander   Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:10 pm GMT
I sometimes eat rats, a rare delicasy. And of course raw herring HMMM!
Frances   Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:16 pm GMT
Rick - Kangaroo used to be popular pre-1960's I think, I certainly remember my dad talking about eating it a lot in his younger days. I think maybe its making a minor return here at the moment.

Re POM - I've heard its "Prisoner of Mother England", probably in reference to those still in England under direct control of the Motherland. Alternatively I have heard that it is after "Pomegranate" (the colour, sp?) after the colour of British Soldiers' uniforms.
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:48 pm GMT
We have a dove season around here -- tastes like sweet chicken. You just eat the breast, though, so it takes three or four to make a meal. (Sorry, Frances! Only ate it once!)

Cabrito (goat meat) is supposed to be really good, but I've never had it. When I lived in California, our neighbors bought a goat from a petting zoo (!!!) and barbequed it (which I thought was egregiously cruel), but I didn't partake. I've had Jamaican jerk chicken in Georgia, though -- spicy!
Jim   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:02 am GMT
Now, if you'd written "We have a pigeon season around here -- tastes like sweet chicken." it just wouldn't have the same ring, would it?
Rick Johnson   Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:31 pm GMT
I found pigeon to be pretty revolting- tastes quite strong like liver! Emu tastes alright tho'! Quite a number of chinese takeaways in Australia had it on their menu.
Guest   Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:41 pm GMT
Huh, pigeon like liver? The countless Yum Chas and I never quite got the liver experience.
Adam   Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:47 pm GMT
I like snakes
*with french fries*