Best way to Learn British English?

lijo raj   Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:10 pm GMT
sir,
i like to study your english course.Give me information about how to study it .my e-mail id is rajlijo@yahoo.com
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:23 am GMT
The old classic ways to learn British English

1) Watch Coronation Street
2) Marry a royal
3) Be like Madonna and be a wannabe Briton with her fake English accent. (And I thought the Spice Girls were fake. What was I thinking?!)
Greg (not the French one)   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:13 am GMT
Ewwww have Madonna and NO we don't not accept refunds nor damage goods.

Thankyou come again!

Love Greg
Greg (not the French one)   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:40 am GMT
Oh yeah take Michael Jackson too.

Love Greg (My idea of French food? - large French fries with catsup please)
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:18 am GMT
<<I'm not sure if I have an RP accent (Candy?) but I learned it from my English teacher.

If you spoke RP, or CoE, you'd say "learnt", not "learned"
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:29 am GMT
As "British English" covers all versions of English used in the UK, you could also learn it in one of the English-speaking Commonwealth countries, other than Canada of course, as the accents of Australia, New Zealand and even the multi-lingual South Africa differ less from RP than most of the UK accents, and they all use the same spelling.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:41 pm GMT
I believe that the people of her adopted home village in Wiltshire (Ashmore) would really, really, really love Madonna to take her "fake" Brit accent back to where she came from in the first place!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:07 pm GMT
TRISTAN DA CUNHA

I saw a very interesting program on TV about this very remote island in the South Atlantic called Tristan da Cunha, which is about midway between South America and South Africa, a tiny volcanic rock literally thousands of kms from any continent. I must admit I knew nothing about it except for seeing it casually on a world map. It was discovered by a Portuguese guy (hence the name) but, surprise! surprise! it was annexed by the British, and it was a Scot (surprise! surprise!) who settled there and founded a settlement on the island, along with a group of other Scots. He was William Glass, from Kelso, in the Scottish Borders (where there is a really nice racecourse, incidentally).

The small township they all settled in , and which they developed as the "capital" is called Edinburgh! The difference between that Edinburgh and this one here could not be more marked...no comparison. See link below. Only about 500 people live there.

The accent of the people there (official Language is, of course, English) is really weird and they speak a very old fashioned type of English, as contact with the outside world is very limited. I heard the people there talking about the time the volcano on the island erupted violently in 1961 and the accent sounded like a mix of Scottish, South African and Australian somehow. Really weird.

When the volcano erupted the entire population had to be evacuated and they had to be flown to the UK, and they had one big mega culture shock as they had never experienced road traffic, shops, stores, crowds, and everything else goes with the modern world. In 1963 the people were allowed to return to Tristan da Cunha, and 90% of them returned. The only ones who decided to stay in the UK were in the 18 to 40 age group. I wonder why.........:-)

http://www.sthelena.se/tristan/tristan.htm
Adam   Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
"(And I thought the Spice Girls were fake. What was I thinking?!) "

How can the Spice Girls have fake British accents?
Adam   Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:34 pm GMT
"it was annexed by the British, and it was a Scot (surprise! surprise!) who settled there and founded a settlement on the island, "

Yeah, it was mostly the Scots wjo settled the various places and kept them under the subjugation of the British Empire, although foreigners believe it was mostly the English.

The English just stayed at home and counted the huge sums of cash that came pouring in whilst the Scots did the colonising.
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
"The English just stayed at home and counted the huge sums of cash that came pouring in whilst the Scots did the colonising."

Never trust the English.
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
<"(And I thought the Spice Girls were fake. What was I thinking?!) "

How can the Spice Girls have fake British accents? >"(And I thought the Spice Girls were fake. What was I thinking?!) "

How can the Spice Girls have fake British accents? >

You know the fake pop culture they protray I wasn't referring to their accents. I think my last message was not that clear.
Guest   Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:43 pm GMT
<I believe that the people of her adopted home village in Wiltshire (Ashmore) would really, really, really love Madonna to take her "fake" Brit accent back to where she came from in the first place! >

Where in God's world is that? Her 'behind'?
Stevie   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 am GMT
The whingeing Scots are famous for their revionism of history, the sooner England can get independence from this Scottish rabble the better. They never got over being a defeated nation whose native language is now little more than a hobby for sad little "Bravehearts".
The Scots don't like to let people know theylive in a country which has existed on English handouts since 1706, today English subsidies too Scotland run at +£9bn per year, and over 24% of Scots work for the public sector, hardly a dynamic picture is it. Ask a Scot about the Barnett formula and he/she will shut up quickly.

England is the only wealth producing nation within the UK all the others are net recipients of English taxes. The Scots are as duplicitous as they are stupid, England conquered them in battle many times yet still the McStupids never learned their lesson, after signing an act of union and while England was fighting the French the McIdiots tried to come through the back door (they're not called the gay gordons for nothing). They were roundly sent back home again with an English boot kicking their tartan backsides.

Lets have a look at their culture...well where is it...Highland games invented by a victorian Englishman, Tartan invented by an Englishman, they all speak English, parliamentary system invented by an Englishman, monetary system supported by the bank of England, national sport invented by an Englishman..they eat oats for breakfast where in England we feed oats to horses....their culture is as invented and as contrived as their independence. Another aspect of their culture is religious sectarianism, it demonstrates a mindset which goes back to the dark ages, even their enlightenment was 100yrs behind the English one, no wonder the English national sport is kicking your arses!

The sooner we English can be rid of Scotland the better, they will be forced to stand on their own feet...but wait they won't because now they want to be independent and part of the EU, how's that for a contradiction in terms, they want to recieve yet more subsidies.

Scotland...whats is the point of it...all it brings to the world is a large chip on each shoulder and costs the English a fortune to keep...good riddance to bad rubbish.

By the way....there is no such thing as a British English language, it is known as the English language only.
Uriel   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:49 am GMT
It's like a Bolton family reunion!