Best way to Learn British English?

Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:10 pm GMT
That's true, Stevie.

But English subsidies to Scotland have risen to 10 billion pounds.
SNP   Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
Over the past 30 years North Sea oil has contributed more than £200billion to the UK Treasury. This is money that should have been invested for the benefit of Scotland, but has instead been frittered away.
Adam   Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
" This is money that should have been invested for the benefit of Scotland"

How?
SNP   Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:14 pm GMT
Have a look at our website.
Stevie   Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
So let me see thats £200bn over 30 years from northsea oil, and £300bn over 30 years in English subsidy via Barnett and the like, hmmmm...that means even if you had all the reciepts from north sea oil you would still have been better off to the tune of £100bn from English subsidy.

Don't forget McNumpty that the oil revenues were not soley spent in England so you got a share of the oil reciepts and benefited from English subsidy as well. As per usual we get the famliar Scottish whinge...."it's oor oil"...well who do you think paid for the exploration and development of the oilfields...i can't recall any famous Scottish oill firms can you? As far as many English are concerned losing the oil revenue and Scotland with it would be a price worth paying to get the tartan millstone from round our necks. England gets nothing of any real value from the union and as the ONLY net contributor to the UK England is the only one which has a viable claim to independence. Ye can dissappear down your own bagpipes( which i think were a greek or egyption invention) and please take fellow greasy Scots Tony Blair Gordon Brown, David Cameron, John Reid, Ming Campbell, Alistair Darling...ad infenitum back with you.

Wasn't the SNP warcry "independence within Europe" a few years ago? What a contradiction in terms and a sad reflection on the Scottish psyche of an institutional dependency culture.
A anti-imperialistic GUES   Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
I thought that the only people in Scotland who wished to remain in the Union were decedents of those who settled there centuries ago. England has fucked up just about every country in the world. Scotland should have claimed independence decades ago and invested that 200 billion on her own economy. No doubt, English soldiers would have been rampaging there way through the Highland raping and murdering like they usually do.
Guest   Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
<I thought that the only people in Scotland who wished to remain in the Union were decedents of those who settled there centuries ago.>

In that case you better have a word with Scotsman Gordon Brown busy wrapping himself up in the Union Flag or Scotsman John Reid busy wrapping himself up in knots...how many scotsman does it take to enter us into an unwinnable war...just one Tony McBlair. Provide the evidence to back up your claim that England has ******** up every country in the world, of course you must be referring to the BRITISH empire, you know the one where the Scots threw themselves with gusto into evangelism and commerce, Scots merchants were always eager to exploit markets they could not have reached by themselves, isn't it always laughable how the you whinging scots always talk about the empire as if it was nothing to do with you.

Your laughable crap about English soldiers is not worth replying too as it shows your inbuilt inferiority complex, oh if England was so unattractive then how come soooooooo many of your countrymen take the long road south to live amongst us...possibly becase they want to leave McMorons like you behind.

Its England which needs independence from the celtic leeches which surround it.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:26 pm GMT
***You would still have been better off to the tune of £100bn from English subsidy***

Cheers!

***You got a share of the oil reciepts and benefited from English subsidy as well***

Cheers!

***Who do you think paid for the exploration and development of the oilfields***

Cheers!

Och...you guys are so generous. When can we get up off our knees then? The last time I was in a supermarket in England I saw haggis on sale, as well as masses of fresh Scottish salmon, cock-e-leekie soup and plentiful varieties of shortbread, bottles of fresh Highland spring waters, Angus soft fruits, Highland beef steaks galore, Borders lamb fillets, Scottish venison steaks, Scottish smoked Findhorn haddock, Dundee marmalades, Whiskey fudge, fudge cakes, Dundee cake, butterscotch crisps, Borders dark chocolate gingers, Nairn oatcakes...and loads more of our goodies...oh!...and of course......all varieties of our whisky!

So I reckon you guys get all your Sassenach bawbies back in our wonderful "exports" to you lot South of the Border so stop your pewling!
Stevie   Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
Yes the streets are full of people raving about the fine haggis they had for dinner last night, that is if they are not recovering in A and E from a dose of poisoning from Scottish farmed Salmon...and amazingly Chocolate has now become an export of Scotland according to the latest Scots Mcnumpty...you can't move in the highlands for Cocoa plantations can you?

I don't think my world will come to a premature end if i couldn't have another Nairn oatcake or a tin of cock-a-reeky.

Are you seriously suggesting England should continue to pay for Scotland and remain in the union because we get the benefits of eating your Dundee cake then its no wonder you come from a loss making country that thrives on dependency and the victim culture.

Ohhh look at us plucky poor wee Scots always bullied by the English where's Mel Gibson when you need him... lets re-write some history.....Mel ...Mel..where are you?

If this list of dodgy foodstuffs is the best case you can come up with for the benefits England gets from this union then you have had a few too many whiskey fudges...mind you its well known the Scots like a bit of fudge eh.
i.r.a   Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
ooh ah up the ra
Rick Johnson   Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:48 pm GMT
<<Over the past 30 years North Sea oil has contributed more than £200billion to the UK Treasury. This is money that should have been invested for the benefit of Scotland, but has instead been frittered away.>>

The England - Scotland border is set at an angle upwards. If you follow this many of the oilfields actually fall into English territory.

<<No doubt, English soldiers would have been rampaging there way through the Highland raping and murdering like they usually do.>>

Many people seem to forget that the the countries were unified under the Scottish king James. He also pushed forward the plantations in Ulster.
Thanks to the Norman French, King James, the Dutch King Billy and lots of other foreigners, the English seem to get blamed for everything.
younes   Sun May 14, 2006 10:21 am GMT
I am algerian I want to learn english plz.
Julian   Thu May 18, 2006 8:04 am GMT
>I'm not sure if I have an RP accent (Candy?)<

Does Candy have an RP accent?
Candy   Thu May 18, 2006 10:09 am GMT
<<Does Candy have an RP accent? >>

No, she doesn't. ;)
sheeee-yit   Thu May 18, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
we are working on julius caesar in english class right as we speak... we are very inspired by all your words of wisdom... sarah loves you... e - mail her at saranicle72@yahoo.com