Escrevamos em português!

Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:29 pm GMT
At least I hope that was sarcasm, because otherwise the person who wrote it is retarded.
Alison   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:02 am GMT
<<<Alisson should get updated. Brazilian dictionary Aurélio lists 25 273 Brazilian words used in Brasil on a regular basis, most of them are not used/understood in Portugal.

Portuguese knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese is limited to 1000 words that are used in Brazilian soap operas..>>>

Oh my, he counted the words and counted how many words the Portuguese know. Does it also say in the dictionary how many words the Portuguese know?

1000 words is the vocabulary of a 2 years old child, if that is all the vocabulary you need to know to work in a Brazilian soap opera….I’m not surprised.

There is also a Brazilian cable channel in Portugal it is not all about soap operas.

<<<Ask any Portuguese what is Camundongo or Garoa, and he will say WHAT? Camundongo is a house mouse, and Garoa is Drizzle>>>

Ask any 12 years old what is camundongo and he will say WHAT? Mickey? (Mickey mouse).

You mean that no one knows that São Paulo is the land of garoa? Some know some don’t…

How do you know what they say??? You took a language course and now understand European Portuguese??

<<<“Some differences:

''I don't like going to the disco.''

portuguese: Não me apetece ir à discoteca.
brazilian: Eu não estou a fim de ir na danceteria.” >>>

Yes there is a difference, what you translated was “I don’t feel like going to disco”
and not “I don’t like going to disco.”

The right translation for “I don’t like going to disco” is:

Eu Portugues: eu não gosto de ir na discoteca.
Brz Portugues: eu não estou a fim de ir na danceteria. (Colloquialism)

<<<''Brown rat and gray mouse''

portuguese: ratazana castanha e rato cinzento
brazilian: rato marrom e camundongo cinza>>>

Eu Portuguese: ratazana castanha e rato cinzento
Eu Portuguese: ratazana castanha e rato cinza

Cinza, cinzento is european Portuguese

<<<''I love you''

portuguese: amo-te
brazilian: eu amo você, eu lhe amo, eu te amo>>>

Eu Portuguese: eu amo você, eu te amo, amo-te

<<<''Give me a call when you get home.''

portuguese: telefona-me quando chegares a casa
brazilian: liga pra mim quando você chegar em casa >>>

Eu Portugues: telefona-me quando chegares a casa
Eu Portugues: liga pra mim quando tu chegares a casa
Eu Portugues: ligue para mim quando voçê chegar em casa

<<<''Pineapple ice cream''

portuguese: gelado de ananás
brazilian: sorvete de abacaxi >>>

Are you nuts?

Since when some one mistakes an Abacaxi for an Ananás? Don’t you know the difference?

They are of the same family (ananás) but two different varieties; ananás is smaller and sweeter than the abacaxi. The leaves of the crown of the pineapple are smooth, while the edges of the leaves of the abacaxi look like the teeth of a small saw. No one makes that mistake.

Eu Portuguese: gelado de ananás
Eu Portuguese: gelado de de abacaxi
Eu Portuguese: sorvete de ananás
Eu Portuguese: sorvete de abacaxi

Gelado, sorvete is European Portuguese
Abacaxi is Brazilian Portuguese

<<<''Papaya juice''

portuguese: sumo de papaia
brazilian: suco de mamão>>>
portuguese: sumo de papaia

Check your Aurelio papaia is a small size mamão you can never get mistaken…

Eu Portuguese: suco de papaia
Eu Portuguese: suco de mamão
Eu Portuguese: sumo de papaia
Eu Portuguese: sumo de mamão

sumo, suco is European Portuguese

<<<''What will you (all) have for your breakfast?"'Sandwitch? Tangerine juice? Grapefruit juice?

portuguese: O que é que vocês vão tomar no vosso pequeno almoço?
Sandes? Sumo de tangerina? Sumo de toranja?

brazilian: o que vocês vão tomar no café de manhã de vocês?
Sanduiche? Suco de mexerica? Suco de pomelo?>>>

Eu portuguese: O que é que vocês vão tomar no vosso pequeno almoço?
Sandes? Sumo de tangerina? Sumo de toranja?

Sanduiche? Suco de tangerina? Suco de toranja?

Sanduiche, sandes is European Portuguese

How can someone that does not understand European Portuguese tell the difference between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese ???????

Took a crash course?

Funny thing, it is always the people that say that do not understand European Portuguese that try to explain how different European Portuguese is from Brazilian Portuguese.

How can you talk about something that you do not know and do not understand??
Guest   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:29 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese sucks ! it's so primitive and is a lazy way of speech.
EU Portuguese is more vivid and dinamic
Guest   Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:11 pm GMT
»If that's true you can add classical Latin to the 'Brazilian/Portuguese/Galician/Castillian ' list. Sander»

Being sarcastic yourself , is OK , is it, Sander?
When you suffer from hyperventilation, blow in a paperbag. It seems to help. To ventilate yr frustrations here, only make it worse.
Sander   Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:39 pm GMT
Oh yeah, I love being sarcastic , just like you love to be a lone hitler/musolini worshipping moron.
Moron   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:49 pm GMT
«Oh yeah, I love being sarcastic , just like you love to be a lone hitler/musolini worshipping moron. Sander»

From what I can gather, you are a simpleton and a cheap, vulgar person.
Kriolla   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:54 pm GMT
É nóis na fita e nóis num gosta di Portugau.
Jacyra Hernandez Signorin   Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:10 pm GMT
''the portuguese language variety used in Brazil has developed quite a reasonable number of syntactic features different from the European system. These differences are large enough to allow for a description of the Brazilian variety in the sense of a Brazilian grammar. (1992:02)''
(Francisco Tarallo, Brazilian linguist)

''a new grammatical system call it a Brazilian grammar or a dialect of Portuguese with its own grammatical configuration since this is strictly speaking an ideological issue, emerged in late 19th century, establishing a new pattern rather different from and opposed to European Portuguese. (1992:02)''

(Francisco Tarallo, Brazilian linguist)

Brazilian language is also discussed in
E.de L.P.Orlandi, ``Comunicação: Brazilian Language'', Simpósio de Sociolingüística, Lancaster
Melissa   Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:32 am GMT
''Vernacular Features in Educated Speech in Brazilian Portuguese''

Milton M. Azevedo
University of California

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/79117399329793384100080/p0000008.htm

''Considering the difficulty encountered by vernacular speakers to acquire the standard, an understanding of those relationships appears to have broad educational significance. The teaching of Portuguese has traditionally meant imparting a prescriptive formal standard based on a literary register (Cunha 1985: 24) that is often at variance with the language with which students are familiar. As in a diglossic situation, vernacular speakers must learn to read and write in a dialect they neither speak nor fully understand.

Recent scholarship signals a promising departure from traditional opinion regarding the hegemony of the written normative standard. Hauys's analysis (1983) of major grammar texts has uncovered terminological inconsistencies and conceptual contradictions that seriously compromise their value even at the descriptive level. Although slowly, the Educated Urban Norm Project (Cunha 1985) has begun to yield serviceable research materials (Castilho and Preti 1986). Other works (Bechara 1985, Houaiss 1985, Luft 1985, Perini 1985, Couto 1986, and Soares 1986, among others) have focused on important relationships between language variation and social status in Brazil. Vernacular speakers must learn to read and write in a dialect they neither speak nor fully understand, a circumstance that may have a bearing on the high dropout rate in elementary schools.

[...]

It is also to be hoped that the growing body of scholarship may provide a theoretical basis for an understanding of the issues of BV as a system in its own right and contribute to an enlightened policy of language education that will acknowledge vernacular features as a legitimate feature of the Portuguese language.''
Naldo   Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
So in your own words, what would you say Meliss?
Melissa   Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
ew num sei, nawdu
Viviane   Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:43 pm GMT
Dear Alisson, from your name I suppose you're English or American. You keep on marking some brazilian features as ''COLLOQUIALISMS"'. I bet you say WHO DID YOU SEE (COLLOQUIALISM!!!) instead of WHOM DID YOU SEE or IT'S HER (COLLOQUIALISM) instead of IT IS SHE!

So, prior to labeling other people's speech, turn your colloquialism-checker first.

Many thanks.
Guest   Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:25 am GMT
Which Portuguese is closer to Spanish? Brazilian or Portuguese Portuguese?
Trawick   Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:28 pm GMT
Continental Portugese SOUNDS a good deal closer to Spanish than Brazillian. The way that "r" is often realized as [x], combined with the pre-existing nasal vowels of the language make it sound sometimes like some bizarre dialect of French.
Missoni   Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:15 pm GMT
Continental Portuguese: rato ['xat(u)] or ['rrat(u)] ''mouse''
Brazilian Portuguese: rato ['hatw] or ['hato] ''rat''