Escrevamos em português!

Missoni   Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 pm GMT
Yes, Continental Portuguese sounds closer to Spanish. Brazilian Portuguese sounds like a mixture of Italian and French :), very melodic and very nasal (=charming, that is :) )
Guest   Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:46 pm GMT
>>Brazilian PORTUGUESE sounds like a mixture of Italian and French<<

... yeah right
Naldo   Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:31 pm GMT
It is interesting to observe that grammatically there is an important divide in as far as that BRPT uses the continuous form where PtPT uses the infinitive. The use of the continuous is also more common in Spanish . Maybe in Italian as well?
Estou falando
Estou a falar.
Alison   Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
Viviane wrote:
>>>Dear Alisson, from your name I suppose you're English or American. You keep on marking some brazilian features as ''COLLOQUIALISMS"'. I bet you say WHO DID YOU SEE (COLLOQUIALISM!!!) instead of WHOM DID YOU SEE or IT'S HER (COLLOQUIALISM) instead of IT IS SHE!

So, prior to labeling other people's speech, turn your colloquialism-checker first.

Many thanks<<<

Dear Viviane

“some brazilian features” is a bit exaggerated don’t you think so? There was just one tiny little colloquialism among all those sentences. I really would like to see you using it in formal speech or formal writing.

Best regards
Alison   Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:32 pm GMT
Naldo wrote:
>>>It is interesting to observe that grammatically there is an important divide in as far as that BRPT uses the continuous form where PtPT uses the infinitive. The use of the continuous is also more common in Spanish . Maybe in Italian as well?
Estou falando
Estou a falar. <<<

Naldo,
If it is in the Portuguese grammar it is Eu Portuguese, you are comparing Standard Braz Portuguese with Standard Eu Portuguese. The regional varieties in Portugal also differ from the standard Eu Portuguese. For instance, in the Island of Madeira the continuous form is used instead of the infinitive form. So you will hear people say “Estou falando” instead of “Estou a falar”. Guess why Brazilians use the continuous form instead of the infinitive form.
Joe   Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 pm GMT
>>combined with the pre-existing nasal vowels of the language make it sound sometimes like some bizarre dialect of French.<<

So true. As far as I am concerned the so-called Brazilian "Portuguese" (I say so-called because it hardly resembles the genuine article from Europe) is truly a disaster, an experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong. Everytime I hear that hideous accent it scares me to death how horrible it sounds.
Joe   Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:54 pm GMT
>>Brazilian Portuguese sounds like a mixture of Italian and French :), very melodic and very nasal (=charming, that is :) )<<

Melodic???!!! Charming??!! You've got to be kidding! It sounds like a bunch of spastics from the local asylum tryint to utter their first words if you ask me.
JGreco   Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
>>Sorry Joe<<

Most Spanish speaking Latin Americans will tell you they understand far more Brazilian Portuguese than standard Portuguese. Standard Eu.Port. is very choppy and is pronounced much more like French is with the exception of the trilled r's they use. I've asked many Latin American Spanish speakers and when hearing Eu.Port they think they are hearing German! Many of the standard verbal usages or as everybody says "archaisms" that is in Brazilian Portuguese is similar to the usages in Latin American Spanish varieties since Latin American spanish uses many "archaisms" that was standard in the past in Spain and that is not standard now in Spain but is still standard in Latin American Spanish. There are other things to note too. The reason i've heard many European Castellano speakers (I am calling Spanish by its real name now) can understand far more Eu. Port is because the standard Madrileno Castellano accent has a lot in common with Eu.Port. They are also use to hearing it more than people in Castellano speaking Latin America. I know in my personal experience and the personal experience of other Latin American Castellanos The Brazilian accent is much easier to get use to and to adjust to. It doesn't take long for you to adjust to their sppech patterns and understand what their saying with very little translation. Remember everybody that Latin American Spanish was heavily influenced by Canary Island Spanish (at least in the Carribean countries including Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Panama, Carribean coastal Venezuela, and Carribean coastal Colombia) which was heavily influenced by Archaic Portuguese because of their mass migration too the island and then to the Carribean countries. These countries do share similar verb forms, inverted questions, and high levels of nasalization in their speech patterns. Please before you make arguments you might want to review the facts of the argument. By the way I am doing a paper currently on this and have reviewed my information.

>>There's my cup of tea for you<<
Alison   Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:28 pm GMT
Trawick wrote:
>>>Continental Portugese SOUNDS a good deal closer to Spanish than Brazillian. The way that "r" is often realized as [x], combined with the pre-existing nasal vowels of the language make it sound sometimes like some bizarre dialect of French.<<<

From which regional area in Portugal, near the frontier???
Actually it was the Swabian language that influenced the way the Portuguese language sounds. The Swabian language had many nasal intonations. The Swabian kingdom did not use Vulgar Latin as the main language, when the Visigoths conquered the Swabians they were considered one of their own because they were also Germans. It was the Visigoths that decided to use Vulgar Latin and suppress the Gothic language, but the hardest thing to change I guess, was the accent.

The Swabians are also blamed for influencing the French nasal sounds.
Naldo   Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:41 pm GMT
«For instance, in the Island of Madeira the continuous form is used instead of the infinitive form. So you will hear people say “Estou falando” instead of “Estou a falar”. Guess why Brazilians use the continuous form instead of the infinitive form. »

Therefore maybe also on the Azores?

Will pay more attention next time I see Alberto Jardim on TV.
Rui   Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:07 am GMT
And also in Alentejo.
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:33 am GMT
>>combined with the pre-existing nasal vowels of the language make it sound sometimes like some bizarre dialect of French.<<

>>Brazilian Portuguese sounds like a mixture of Italian and French :), very melodic and very nasal (=charming, that is :) )<<

From one important perspective, it is important to have a reasonable level of nasality in one's voice. A nasal voice does not tire as easily. The more nasal a voice is the lower becomes the likelihood that you will develop nodes, polyps or contact ulcers on your vocal cords/folds. To confirm this, you would need to see a speech pathologist and a qualified doctor. I am neither of these.
Alison   Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:44 am GMT
Naldo wrote:
>>>Therefore maybe also on the Azores?
Will pay more attention next time I see Alberto Jardim on TV<<<

An repuosta:
Anque inda nun haba ancuntrado quien saba todos ls falares, eiqui podemos ber la cunfusion de falares cunsante cada tierra. Ye siempre ua grande deficuldade para la splicaçon de qualquiera palabra ousada na fala Portuguesa, quier dezir, anquanto la splicaçon nun se acha an nahun dicionairo. (Mira bien, parece mas nun ye Portugues.)

http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/hlp/geografia/mapa06.html
http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/hlp/geografia/mapa07.html
Rui   Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 am GMT
Mirandês???
Alison   Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:58 am GMT
Yes Mirandês de Sendin