Spanish and filipino

Diego   Sun May 06, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
>> All I know is lots of Mexican speak excellent American English like Oscar de la Hoya, Salma Hayek and a lot more.

Oscar de la Hoya is not Mexican, he was born and raised in East Los Angeles, CA, making him Mexican-American or Chicano.

Salma Hayek comes from a wealthy family and lived in Houston, TX during her teens. She currently lives in Los Angeles. If you've got money, you can afford a good education and learn to speak the English language. However, many Mexicans are poor and are too busy trying to clothe and feed their families to be mastering the English language.
Unknown Author   Sun May 06, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
Quoting : All I know is lots of Mexican speak excellent American English like Oscar de la Hoya, Salma Hayek and a lot more

Answer : Buddy, read what Diego said. PLUS! you are talking about popular people, definitely they speak better English. We are talking about the population of Mexico, common sense man common sense, no offense but that was just stupid, you are saying whatever pointless things just because you dislike Spanish.

I used to tutor High School and College students from different parts of Latin America, several of them from the richest and most popular business cities of Mexico, they do not speak good English just to correct you and to put a period on that non-sense theory of yours.
ElPinoy   Sun May 06, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
After reading through several blog sites related to Filipinos learning Spanish, I see that majority would like to learn Filipinos. At the same time, there are a few who do not understand the advantages of knowing how to speak Spanish. They are so focused on the past and that Spanish is a tyrant's language and should not be learned. Well then why are we speaking English and not Tagalog. Needless to say that people who say that we should not learn Spanish and stick with our native languages are narrow minded and probably has little to no education.

Filipinos learning Spanish does not mean to give up your roots. It means you're re-embracing your roots. It also simply means you would be tri or even quad-lingual since most Filipinos know at least 2 dialects and English already.
ElPinoy   Mon May 07, 2007 12:24 am GMT
I do believe that Spanish in the Philippines could be revived if taught starting in Elementary. A language program does not have to be part of the public school system. It can be an after school program, but everything takes money to run. So it would need private investors since I have less confidence in the government to provide money for such program. If I win the lottery, I would go back to Philippines and start my plan to revive Spanish. Tagalog is my second language from Zambal and I had to learn it in elementary school. Fluento (here's the kastila word for you) pa ako sa Tagalog at Zambal kahit na 11 lang ako nong nag-move kami sa California.

Of course once a person learns the basics from elementary, it has to be re-enforced through different medium like music, TV, newspapers, movies, etc. When I learned Tagalog, I would read the komiks and watch TV in tagalog. I think the same thing can be done with Spanish. I might add that it irates me to see and hear sub-titled tele-novelas in the Philippines.

After living in America, obviously I'm now fluent in English, but I've never forgotten how to speak the first 2 languages that I learned while I was young. So learning Spanish does not mean forgetting about your native tounge (i.e. Tagalog, Ilocano, Cebuano, etc.). I might also add that now I can converse fairly comfortably in Spanish and watch Spanish TV sometimes with my family in addition to TFC. I also love Reggaeton, especially Tego Calderon from Puerto Rico because he always mentions he is provenciano, just like me from Zambales. I love learning Spanish because it reveals many words used in Tagalog and Zambal that I have never thought were Spanish origins. Here are some examples:

1. Alis diyan! Alis is from spanish verb Alejar, which means to get away from something. If you watch boxing in Spanish channels, you would often hear the coach yell Alejate de cuerdas!, which means get off the ropes.
2. Maong - This one is interesting because I heard this in a Latino radio station called "La calle" in the Bay Area. Maong is jeans as we call it in Philippines, but it is also used by Puerto Ricans. It was funny because the Mexican did not know what the Puerto Rican was saying because Mexicans calle jeans the same in English.
3. Nunal - as in mole (beauty mark) similar to what Cindy Crawford has.
4. Na buke ang plano natin. Buke is from buque meaning shipwreck.
5. Older Filipinos in my town used call eye glasses Antechocos or more commonly ante-para (which means screens). The correct word is Ante-ojos. I think the older people pronounce it as they heard it since the Spaniard accent tend to pronouce "j" as ch.
6. I heard a Spanish rap group (from Spain) use the word cocote as your brain just like in Tagalog.

I can go on and on. My main point is in order to revive Spanish in the Philippines, it has to start with the kids from 3rd grade, which was when I started learning Tagalog also.
Unknown Author   Mon May 07, 2007 3:21 am GMT
You're very smart and reasonable. I also do not see the reason why we must not have the Spanish language back in our country.

Like you said, most of the Filipinos consider it as a tyrant's language, I mean, get over it, past is past, the past won't help the country elevate to a higher level,especially our race. Also pointing out that USA saw us as "dogs" for trade, they bought us from Spain, they did not want the war to go on, instead, they offered Spain millions of dollars to give up the colony. So why are we speaking English?, which actually helps our country's economy at this current time, add Spanish and that would help the country move up higher.

1st and 2nd largest languages in the world spoken "naturally" by Filipinos. Think about that.
SpamMoon   Mon May 07, 2007 5:09 am GMT
Damn this Spanish proponents!

Kulit nyo talaga. Poor countries cannot lead another poor country towards progress. Spanish speaking countries are not like the US, Australia, Canada, NZ, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, or other rich nations. Spanish speaking countries are not aid donors but recipients of it.

So people who support for the revival of the Spanish language in the Philippines are the ones who are smart to you and those are against are stupid, bobo and poor.
Unknown Author   Mon May 07, 2007 5:59 am GMT
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Your views are so narrow. Do you know what helps the Philippine economy against other currencies?, PEOPLE WHO WORK ABROAD.

If we speak Spanish, then many Filipinos can work abroad, in Spain, Latin America,especially USA. The money that those OFW people, us, who work abroad earning dollar, will help the economy of the country.

PLUS! You still have not answered my question. WHAT HARM WOULD IT DO TO FILIPINOS IF SPANISH WILL BE BROUGHT BACK AS ONE OF THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES?

1. Tagalog
2. English
3. Spanish

does it not look brilliant?
ElPinoy   Mon May 07, 2007 6:12 am GMT
SpamMoon is another narrow-minded fool. Always referring to revival of Spanish as related to money.

Reviving Spanish in the Philippines is more toward completing our identity, which I think is missing within the culture.

Oh by the way, you used a Spanish word in your post "Bobo".
SpamMoon   Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 am GMT
ELPinoy is a big idiot. He doesn't even anticipated the burden that heavy burden that the Filipino people would burden if Spanish is revived.

Mas lalo kang BOBO! For you anybody who resist Spanish is a bobo but to us who are practical you're the one who 's BOBO.Your vanity is the main cause why you you push for Spanish.

The whole country is in poverty and you who belong to the upper cass do not even lift a single finger to help those who are in need.

Let English countinue to flourish in the Philippines and let other languages such as French, German, Japanese or Italian be introduced in this country. Maybe by means of their culture, the Filipino psyche and outlook in life will improve a lot than before.

I prefer to be called a Brown Yankee than a pseudo-hispanic.

You're so PATHETIC just like your language and culture. Mga matapobre, arrogante, at mapanlait kayo.
SpamMoon   Mon May 07, 2007 7:39 am GMT
ELPinoy is a big idiot. He doesn't even anticipated the heavy burden that the Filipino people would shoulder if Spanish is revived.

Mas lalo kang BOBO! For you anybody who resist Spanish is a bobo but to us who are practical you're the one who 's BOBO.Your vanity is the main cause why you you push for Spanish.

The whole country is in poverty and you who belong to the upper cass do not even lift a single finger to help those who are in need.

Let English countinue to flourish in the Philippines and let other languages such as French, German, Japanese or Italian be introduced in this country. Maybe by means of their culture, the Filipino psyche and outlook in life will improve a lot than before.

I prefer to be called a Brown Yankee than a pseudo-hispanic.

You're so PATHETIC just like your language and culture. Mga matapobre, arrogante, at mapanlait kayo.
SpamMoon   Mon May 07, 2007 8:04 am GMT
Unknown Author,

There are very very few OFW's in Spanish speaking countries. Most of them are in the ME, USA, Japan, and Italy. Surely Spanish is not the langauge in those areas.

OK! Reintroduce Spanish but please don't ram it on the throats of those who prefer to learn other foreign languages.
Unknown Author   Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
<<ELPinoy is a big idiot. He doesn't even anticipated the burden that heavy burden that the Filipino people would burden if Spanish is revived.>>

Burdens such as?

<<Let English countinue to flourish in the Philippines and let other languages such as French, German, Japanese or Italian be introduced in this country. Maybe by means of their culture, the Filipino psyche and outlook in life will improve a lot than before.>>

And why not Spanish?, it is spoken more than all these other languages, it is the 2nd largest spoken language, plus it was our language and a part of our culture and identity.

If you were insisting that the Filipinos will undergo through "hardship" in learning Spanish, in which some of the people here posted and said that if they're already having a hard time learning English, adding Spanish would make it harder for them, right?,that's what you said or someone else said.

But why introduce Italian,French,Japanese or whatsoever and not Spanish?, hahahaha. I can clearly see something here, you still have the hatred for Spaniards from the past.

"BRINGING BACK SPANISH TO THE PHILIPPINES CAN ONLY BENEFIT FILIPINOS, NEVER HURT THEM"

Open up your minds and stop being foolish, do not give the reason adding Spanish will be more of a pain in the ass because Filipinos will have to study an extra language, IF you will promote learning other languages such as French or Italian, same thing. PLUS, Spanish is easier for us to learn, we are already using their words and we have already spoken it before, why can't we speak it again?

And you still have not answered my question, why misbenefit will it bring to Filipinos if Spanish will be brought back. You keep on saying NO to Spanish but YES to other languages, I guess it would be better if you change your identity since it is a Spanish word.

Have fun
Unknown Author   Mon May 07, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
And who said we're pushing you guys to learn Spanish?, buddy!!!!! THIS IS A FORUM! NOT A GOVERNMENT VOTING FORUM IF SPANISH MUST BE SPOKEN AGAIN OR NOT!! hahahahaha, man you need to relax.

If Spanish will be brought back in the country and you don't want to learn it then don't lol. Who cares right?, you're the one missing out the not ones who want to learn it.

relax hahaha
Proud to be Filipino   Mon May 07, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
SpamMoon

<<<<There are very very few OFW's in Spanish speaking countries. Most of them are in the ME, USA, Japan, and Italy. Surely Spanish is not the langauge in those areas. >>>>

For your information, I live in the USA and Spanish is the second language here and it is always a huge point if you speak both Spanish and English. To tell you the truth, a friend of mine just got hired by a big corporation here in Florida starting at $80,000 US Dollars a year(He is only 28 years old) and one of the major requirement was "must be fluent in English and Spanish". He is a native of the Philippines from Manila.

Italy also requires Spanish language in most of the high paying jobs, because Spain is their neighbor and they do a lot, A LOT of business. Speaking of Middle East,sure if you want to be the next guy shown on TV getting their heads cut off, go there and enjoy.

Japan, give me a break, don't you know Japanese are trying to learn Spanish nowadays too?

You do not know what is happening outside the Philippines my friend.

<<<<Let English countinue to flourish in the Philippines and let other languages such as French, German, Japanese or Italian be introduced in this country>>>>

So why French,German,Japanese or Italian and not Spanish?, those language are spoken in a few countries. Spanish is spoken in most of Europe just to let you know, also in whole USA, if you want a big salary and if you want bigger points over the other rival job applicants, you must know Spanish.

I mean no offense but please, get your facts straight next time you post. Your knowledge is strictly enclosed within the Philippines, welcome to the outside world.

And just so you know, us Filipinos who live in Europe and North/Central/South America, we represent ourselves as "Hispanic Asians" , we never ever say we are chinese or japanese or Malaysians. The majority of the world already sees us as Hispanic Asians, you cannot change that at all, nobody can. It has already been written down to everyone's mind and it will be passed on to the future generations.

When I visited the Philippines, I went to a club, the music that they are playing in most clubs in Makati, Libis or wherever are "Spanish Reggaeton". The youth are once again starting to embrace and remember what we have once forgotten.
El Filipino   Mon May 07, 2007 8:03 pm GMT
That is true, I have been in different parts of USA and Canada. To be honest, you will rarely see a Filipino with other Asians, what you will see in each corner are Filipino with Latins.

Yung mga magbabarkada dito sa USA at Canada ay kadalasan mga pinoy at latino, bihira ka makakakita ng mga pinoy at asian, that is just very rare to see. Because other Asians see us as Spanish ,not Asians.

And yes my friend proud to be Filipino is correct,most of us Filipinos in other countries, especially in north america represent ourselves as spanish asians and that is how most races see us.