WRITEN ROMANIAN

OldAvatar   Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:32 am GMT
@Ion

There are also, other oppinions about the verb <a iubi, iubire = to love>". Of course, the official explanation is that it derives from the Slavic word <liubiti>. But others say that the origin could be found in Latin word <iubilare = triumph, great satisfaction>.

BR
Borrokan   Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
I am interesting to listen an extract of Romanian, it's so rare! When I see the Romanian to the paper I find it magnificent, is it the same thing in the ear? the romanian it's in roman family, And I saw that the Rumanian results from a very particular Latin branch with regard to the others, he comes down from the imperial Latin, that is that contrary to the other Romanic languages, the Rumanian would look like him more in the Latin of the 1st century, while Spanish; French, Italian, changed gradually the sense of several words.
anecdot:
The rouman can undestand the french, italian, spanish fastly, but the opposite is not possible because the Rumanian is an asymetriqual language.
SpookyET   Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:23 pm GMT
Italian, yes. Italian is very close to Romanian, probably the closest.
Spanish is harder to understand.
French is almost impossible to understand since it has been influenced by the Germanic tribes without training.
Ion   Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
to OldAvatar

Yes, you are right in regard of IUBILARE...In fact, if the origine of "a iubi" is still under discussions, there is no doubt that the Romanian words "jubileu" comes from this Latin IUBILARE
OldAvatar   Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:25 pm GMT
"Jubileu" is borrowed from French. It is a neologism. Don't mix them up...
Ion   Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:36 pm GMT
Maybe, Jubileu comes trough French, back to Romanian ; apparently, in ancient time the Romans from Dacia, knew and used this word...

In previous posting youself have said that Iubilare is Latin...Logically, the French Jubilee, came from the Latin Iubileum...but I'm looking for words origins and not words carriers..
Thank you!
augustin717   Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:49 am GMT
Could you also derive these words from some fanciful Latin etymon?
drag
dragoste
prieten
nevasta
mandru
privi
da
ba
glezna
zbura
slab

and I could still go on.
augustin717   Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
grajd
graba
plug
zabovi/zabava
vorbi/vorba
vrabie
primi
trebui/treaba/trebnic/netrebnic
glas
voie/voi
nevoie
izvor
sluga/sluji
My point is that although still a Romance language, Romanian suffered a "foreign" (although that's no longer foreign, since we also have some Slavic ancestry, too) influence, unparalleled in any other Romance language.
At the grammar level, the lack of the so-called " sequence of tenses" in Romanian, can only be explained as a Slavic influence.
Ion   Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
Augustin717,

Apartment;
Trotter;
Letter,
Department,
Machine,
Operation,
Operator,
Salary,
Corruption,
Compute
Private
Property
etc, etc no time to waste on that,

then, in German:

Computer,
Apartment,
Ade,
Excurssion,
Trotoir
Pommes
Privat
Einkomm,
Abbonement,
Abbonieren,
Top Stars,
Netto,
Brutto,
News later,
Karriere,
Immobilien,
Option,
Reform,
Energie,
Konto,
Event (s),
Archive,
Devisen
und so weiter...

I can continue in the same way with French, Italian, Spanish, Greek but it is simple a non sense because in fact, the only POINT YOU have MADE here is that the languages under some circumstances are borrowing words one from another; that they interfere each other and of course, they influence each other.

If you understud how the languages have developed, then you wouldn't have any "dilemmas" regarding Romanian anymore.

And another thing: Don't ever think that Hungarian or Serbo-Croatian or Russian are pure , clean languages as they were initially born?

Then, it doesn't matter if Romanian is not a Latin language, it is by over 31 mil people a spoken language; it is a living language, no matter if you like it or not.

Finally, I would like to address you a question:

If Romanian is not Latin, nor Slavic (or maybe Slavic is in your opinion), what language is then? Esperanto?

If so, then I only have to be proud of my fellows peasants who learned this mixed language while working the fields, or feeding the sheep in the mountains ...
augustin717   Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
I've never claimed that Romanian is not a Romance language.
I've only claimed that, due to a variety of historical and geographical reasons it is very different and, in many respects, very much unlike other Romance languages.
I'm myself Romanian, but, unlike others on this forum, I'm not trying to strip Romanian of all its Slavic elements, in order to make it look more "Latin".
I also believe that if it hadn't been for the misguided and programmed "re-latinisation" of the XIX-XXth centuries, Romanian-I mean the "standard" form thereof, left to follow its natural course, would have looked and sounded considerably different today, but, at the same time, would have had more character.
I love the Romance elements of Romanian, but only those inherited from Latin, not the plethora of French and sometimes Italian borrowings of the 19-20th centuries.
Romanian is Romance precisely because of those old Latin elements and not because of the somehow idiotic and artificial alteration of its course by some linguists that had their own agenda.
You see, when Romanian borrowed words from Slavic languages, or from Greek, or from Hungarian etc , it did so because of an immediate necessity, and not because of an agenda.
But, the problem with the "re-latinisation" of the language, is that there was an agenda. And that agenda was mostly formed by some sort of political Romanticism.
However, this is only the case of the "standard" language. The dialectal varieties have retained a much more pristine form of Romanian, especially the Western and northern dialects (Transilvania, Banat and Moldova).
Ion   Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:03 pm GMT
augustin717

All the languages in some moments of time, had run under some reforms...

Speaking about Romanian, what in Transylvania, Banat and Moldova is spoken, are not dialects, nor varieties of dialects but regionalisms. Dialects of Romanian are Romanian, IstroRomanian, Megleno-Romanian and they are preserving very well a lot from the old Latin.

Then, I saw some opinions here saying that Romanians want and insist to transform Romanian into Italian, or to bring it closer to Italian. I personally don't feel this way; if there are some Romanians which are living in Italy and while speaking they are combining the words, it is something often seen and maybe normal among immigrants. Everywhere in this world is happen the same way.

Then getting closer to Italian, it doesn't always mean that Romanian is getting closer to Latin because Italian is not totally Latin either. By having said that, I don't really believe that the Romanians want to make their own language sounding like Italian. Why would that be? I personally am not an Italian fan; I consider English for example, the most beautiful, musical and expressive language among all.

But I wouldn't replace Romanian with English because we all will get poorer. As a human being, I don't like to lose anything, Romanian,Spanish, English, German, Russian, Hungarian...fiecare are farmecul ei si tocmai de aceea lumea este mai intersanta, mai frumoasa.

You dislike the once linguists tendency... when they tried to "Latinised" Romanian via French. I feel the same way, but the linguists , without the people absorbance wouldn't do much because a literary language will be spoken only by a minority. The country people will never speak other than they inheritated from the parents in a oral way. That can be noticed even in some literate people in today Romania, the preservation of rural terms.

Not the linguists are my concern. My concern is given by the snobs who are implementing words which doesn't have anything to do with Romanian grammar or phonology. Don't you notice today for example, how words like : summit, background, under 21, etc penetrated our language, killing our ears? The snobs are the problem and not the linguists, I'm inclined to believe so.

By the way, do you know that after the soviets stepped into the country (our country), we started to learn that Romanians are Slavs, speaking a Slavic language? It is nothing wrong being Slav or speaking a Slave Language but it doesn't respect the truth. Everything I'm trying to do on this forum, when I'm referring to Romanian, is to tell the people that Romanian is a language by its self, maybe not that much Latin, not that much Slav, not that much Dacian, it is just Romanian, pure and simple.

See below another list of words borrowed by German (from French, many of them):
Kurator
Reportage
Integration
Interanktion
Konstipation
Leviten lesen
Plantage=
Plastics
renovieren
reparabel
Souflaki
Soufleur
and
so on...

the languages are moving on, permanently...the people of all nations are interacting among themselves more often than ever. In old Romania, in Balkans, that happen as well. There was an emulation of people coming in contact. Not only Romanian borrowed words from Slavs, but the other way around too... It is something absolutley normal!
SpookyET   Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:46 pm GMT
French is probably the least closest to Latin due to heavy Germanic influence. I don't know why they borrowed from French.
Ion   Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:30 am GMT
SpookeyET,

That happend in the same way and from the same reasons as today, all languages are borrowing words from English (computer, website etc)...

Once, the Romanians, the Germans, Italians, Spanish, English, Russians etc have borrowed numerous words and expressions from French. It has been a time when France was associated with “Illuminism”. And Paris was called the city of Lights!
JR   Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:15 am GMT
Quite True
SpookyET   Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:11 pm GMT
Ion,

I don't like Romglit.