WRITEN ROMANIAN

Stefaniel P Spaniel   Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
This discussion has started to get more interesting, after it got past all the usual tired points about whether Romanian is "really" a Romance language.
It was interesting to read the analysis of 2992's usage of Romanian too. I spent some time in Cluj and learnt the language for a while, and I think one day I'd like to try again.

One point I was a little confused about was the distinction between "dialect" words and "regionalisms." As far as I am aware threre is no such distinction in English. A regionlism is a dialect word. If some dilects are more obviously distinct from the standard form than others, then they are pronounced dialects. As for Aromanian and others, surely it would be more accurate to call them "languages."
Anyway, I think there has been a long discussion of the difference between languages and dialects, if there is objectively such a thing.
But saying that a word is "merely" a regionalism, and not a dialect word... I think this may be 2nd language interference...
eu   Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
I'm sorry Stefaniel but you need to learn more about the difference between the language regionalisms and the language dialects...On this subject, you cannot go on guessing!

Take care!
2992   Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 am GMT
indeed...
as far as i know, in romania nowadays we only have regionalisms,... but maybe we can say once we'd also dialects. i'm not sure. can anyone help with this?
thanks.
patrol   Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:24 pm GMT
romanian posters ! dont feed the trolls ! the insecure latinos from tercer mundo are the linguistic bashers on this forum. They are desperately trying to denigrate romanian, germanic and slavic languages.

just ignore the ignoramuses !
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
38% of Romanian is derived from French. Romanian, what a crap language. No originality.
Lafayette   Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:37 am GMT
<<romanian posters ! dont feed the trolls ! the insecure latinos from tercer mundo are the linguistic bashers on this forum. They are desperately trying to denigrate romanian, germanic and slavic languages.

just ignore the ignoramuses ! >>

You're absoloutely correct, patrol. I'm so glad that you noticed that too.
augustin717   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm GMT
<<38% of Romanian is derived from French. Romanian, what a crap language. No originality.>>

Nonsense. That might be somehow true of the highly artificial language of the media etc; but the language I learned from my grand-parents and parents has virtually no French loanwords, or any other modern Romance loanwords, for that matter.
Aman   Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:43 am GMT
What means a treaba ? in romanian
eu   Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:26 pm GMT
treaba = work to do: Eu am treaba - I have something to do!
eu   Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:29 pm GMT
for Aman again: "eu am treaba, or shortly, am treaba si synonim with "Eu sunt ocupat" - I am busy! In both ways, you transmit the same ideea!

Regards!
LinguaLimba   Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
One thing that must be kept in mind is that Romanian did indeed borrow many words from slavic, balkan, greek, turkish etc. it also has many words of dacian origin
but it is not unique in great influences from other languages.
All romance languages have had this.
Spanish for instance, because of colonization and native (pre-roman as well as post-roman) words, has an abundance of words of Arabic, greek, celtic, etc. influence. French has the Gauls, Franks, Norse, later Germans and whether the Academie Francaise wishes to accept the words or not the English, to thank for a lot of non basic grammar.

The magic of the Romanian experience is that The land was cut off from the rest of the Romance world after the romans withdrew from the area, and the slavs and balkans moved in. But also keep in mind, that many words borrowed from slavic and balkan were previously borrowed from Latin in these languages. And even still, all of these languages are indo-european languages, and therefore share many similarities in vocabulary anyway. So, even if a word can be found to be similar to Latin does not mean that it came from the latin source. And even though a word is not common to latin, does not mean that it did not come from latin. It simply fell out of use.
Count Fuck-You-La   Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm GMT
Romania is a pimple on Europe's ass. Romania has absolutely no right to exist.
A-S   Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:07 pm GMT
<<Romania is a pimple on Europe's ass. Romania has absolutely no right to exist>>

Wow!

"Vis Comica"
eu   Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
Who decides the existence right of a country, of a nation, of a person? What creature has the quality to decide over Romania 's right to live? You? Any other human being? You are patetic!
Count Fuck-You-La   Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:30 pm GMT
Nobody gives a flying rat's ass about some country of nobodys? Romania is a shit stain of Europe, the country's so bad, the people are tripping over themselves to get out of there. Romanian doctors, lawyers, etc are flocking to Spain just to pick fucking oranges! They rather pick fruit because it pays more than their professions back in Romania, now THAT IS SAD. Romania has absolutely nothing to contribute to E.U. Romania is a country of nothing inhabited by nobodys. Period.