Don't be a turkey

j   Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:20 pm GMT
'Don't be a turkey, call home. Use Yahoo! Voice to call friends and family this holiday season for free or incredibly low rates.'
What does it mean, really?

There are many word combinations with 'turkey', sometimes I have trouble understanding them
Q   Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:24 pm GMT
turkey=coward. In this case it's sort of a pun: turkey refers to Thanksgiving as well. It's just sort of a pathetic advertising slogan. Don't worry about the meaning of it so much. Turkey is sort of an outdated slang term for "coward".
j   Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:29 pm GMT
Thank you, Q.
Alex   Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
I've never heard 'turkey' used for 'coward' before, only to mean 'loser', or 'fool'.
Q   Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
>> I've never heard 'turkey' used for 'coward' before, only to mean 'loser', or 'fool'. <<

yeah, it can also mean loser or fool, but it's also like "chicken".
Lazar   Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:28 am GMT
u
jake   Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
>> but it's also like "chicken".<<

I'm a native speaker, and I've never heard it used that way. I think back to some of the old 30's films I've seen and coward doesn't fit with the way it is used in those either. Loser or fool would be closer. Where have you heard it used as coward?

The yahoo ad is saying don't be a fool.
Robin   Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
I was surprised to see the expression 'Turkey' explained as being a 'Chicken'.

At first I could not remember what 'Turkey' actually did mean. However I have since seen an example of the expression 'Turkey' in context.

Have you ever seen a Turkey? A turkey is a remarkably ugly bird. So to call a project a 'Turkey' is to suggest that it is not a pretty sight.

Slang.
A person considered inept or undesirable.
A failure, especially a failed theatrical production or movie.

Slang for an investment that yields disappointing results or generally turns out worse than expected. Failed business deals, securities that realize significant losses, and unsuccessful IPOs could all be called "turkeys".