The sentence which is in a book is right or wrong?

Tim   Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
As simple as the equation may seem, it represents a theory so important that it changed science and physics completely.
nobody   Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
Actually, what is your doubt about? Grammar seems OK. The idea might be right or wrong, depends on which one's point of view.
Tim   Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:16 pm GMT
But I am a foreigner.I can't understand the hyperbatic sentence.
Can you change it ?
I hope it is not a hyperbatic sentence.
Tim   Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:29 pm GMT
But thank you all the same.
But I don't understand the first "As". I think the right sentence is"Simple as the equation may seem, it represents a theory so important that it changed science and physics completely". Because my teacher tell me "as=though(used after an adj or adv to introduce a clause of concession)" For example:Young as I am,I already know a lot of things.
nobody   Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:01 pm GMT
I am a foreigner as well and I do non even know what hyperbatic sentence stands for. Nevertheless, "as - as" is different structure, pretty frequent though. Look here:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/36400.html
User   Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:04 pm GMT
It means: Although the equation is simple, it is part of a theory that changed science and physics completely.

---
I have no idea what the heck a "hyperbatic" sentence is.
Robin   Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:27 pm GMT
Hyperbatic \Hy`per*bat"ic\, a.
Of or pertaining to an hyperbaton; transposed; inverted.

From Wikipedia

Hyperbaton is a figure of speech that uses deliberate and dramatic departure from standard syntax (word order) for emphasis or poetic effect. This term is sometimes used as a synonym for anastrophe, but is more properly used as a general term for figures of disorder, of which anastrophe, parenthesis, and apposition are more specific types.

Derived from the Greek hyper ("over") and bainein ("to step"), with the tos/ton verbal adjective suffix.

Examples:

Word order reversal in "Cheese I love!"
One of the most popular examples - "Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?" - Yoda in "The Empire Strikes Back"
Robin   Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:35 pm GMT
"As simple as the equation may seem, it represents a theory so important that it changed science and physics completely."

I have looked at the sentence, and the comments that have followed. Personally, I do not see why people should have a problem with this sentence. To me, it seems perfectly straight forward.

<<<As simple as the equation may seem>>>

In other words:

Although the equation seems simple

The 'As', is not absolutely necessary, the sentence would still be perfectly acceptable in this form:

<<<Simple as the equation may seem>>>

The equation seems simple.

There really is no problem here. This word for inverted sentence structure, hyperbatic, is rather odd.

A similar word, which is much more common is 'hyperbaric', and it refers to special treatments where a person is subjected to atmospheric pressure, many times normal atmospheric pressure.

Divers who come up too quickly, would normally suffer from the bends. One way round this problem is to place them in a hyperbaric chamber.
Tim   Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:45 am GMT
Robin
Thank you very much.You are so wise.
now I know "As simple as the equation may seem" ="Simple as the equation may seem".We can omit the first "as".
Uriel   Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:26 am GMT
But most people won't; I would certainly always say "As simple as...." and not just "Simple as...." That's perfectly normal English grammar, and your teacher is wrong to say that is has to be used AFTER another word. Many sentences begin with as or though.