Do you hate it too when ...

Hahoo   Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:13 am GMT
Like when I first got in the states, like I used to hate saying "like". But like now, I'm like so used to it, and like like to use it in like every other sentence :)
Carthage   Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:50 am GMT
Mitch, the faux verb that you mentioned, "to be like", also replaces "to think".

Indeed, it has become the most detestable development in the history of the English Language.

It's 2005, and people AROUND THE GODDAMN WORLD are resorting to sentences such as, "And I was like, 'Oh.'"

JESUS, DOES IT TAKE T H A T MUCH EFFORT TO SAY, "And I said, 'Oh.'"?
JJM   Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:06 pm GMT
Still, hardly a "faux verb" if large numbers of English speakers are routinely using it.
Uriel   Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:23 pm GMT
I lived in California for four piddly years and now I can't for the life of me purge "like" and "dude" from my speech! It's horrible.
Damian in Piddly Edinburg   Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:04 pm GMT
URIEL...how is it possible to live in California for "piddly" years? I thought it never rained in Califnornia.

btw: it's not piddly in Eddy right now though...it's gorgeous...dark but gorgeous. I'm off out the noo! Cheers!
Uriel   Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:38 pm GMT
It never rains in SOUTHERN California. I think there's a song .... I was stuck up north, where we had rain. And earthquakes. And flood season, followed by fire season. And the occasional locusts, rains of frogs, deaths of the first-born, etc.
Mitch   Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:14 pm GMT
I lived in Southern California for a long time, and believe me, they get a period of very heavy rains in the winter. The only day it seems to stop is for the Rose Bowl--that's a big college football game (American football), for you non-natives. It's also the only time of the year when the air is clean, so all the freezing folks viewing TV back East get this idealized view of Los Angeles. When they move, they not only get the earthquakes, floods, and fires that Uriel mentioned, but smog, horrendous traffic, and riots--and you get to pay for housing prices that will make you weep.

As for language--my kids' classmates here in Eastern Pennsylvania sound very little different nowadays from the Californians mentioned by Uriel. I agree with Carthage--it's everywhere.
The Swede   Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:53 pm GMT
I think it´s a bit frusterating when people repeat "you know" all the time.
Walker, Texas Ranger   Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:57 pm GMT
"I agree with Carthage--it's everywhere."

Yes, even here in Sweden. One of my classmates at university had spent a year in Los Angeles and her English was most vicious:
"I spent a year in Los Angeles???"
"I made a lot of new friends?"
And so on...

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry in agony and despair.
But of course, she was very blonde..
Adam   Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:00 pm GMT
I hate it when people use double negatives.

Like when people say "I haven't done nothing!" meaning "I haven't done anything!"
Adam   Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:01 pm GMT
Or "I haven't got none" meaning "I haven't got any."
Guest   Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:29 am GMT
I use "I haven't done nothing!" to mean I have, in fact, done some work. Does anyone else use it this way?
Ecko   Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
One thing I cant stand is when people say "Aight", Just sounds retarted.