Accent sample - Damian, Uriel, Travis etc please comment

User   Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:48 am GMT
>> Damn you are opinionated about such <<

Well, I was just trying to help her improve her English, because she seems almost fluent. I was just teaching her standard English.

>>You know that not everyone speaks like you? <<
Yes, of course. Some people speak dialect.

>> Are you German? <<

Well, she certainly does not sound very German to me. And if she's not Finnish, she could be Chinese-Estonian. Finnish and Estonian are very similar sounding languages.
Q   Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:01 am GMT
<Well, I was just trying to help her improve her English, because she seems almost fluent. I was just teaching her standard English.>

LMAO!
Travis   Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:11 am GMT
>>Well, I was just trying to help her improve her English, because she seems almost fluent. I was just teaching her standard English.<<

What people often forget is what they themselves speak is most likely not truly "standard", if you interpret the term "standard" in the English language context as meaning either Received Pronunciation or conservative General American.
Guest   Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:49 am GMT
>> Well, she certainly does not sound very German to me. And if she's not Finnish, she could be Chinese-Estonian. Finnish and Estonian are very similar sounding languages. <<

Unlikely. She certainly doesn't sound very European.
Thai   Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:29 am GMT
Aha. I know! She's not Chinese. She's Thailanese. Listen to "Thailand One" at http://web.ku.edu/idea/asia/thailand/thailand.htm

Except for the r's they sound identical.
Uriel   Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:02 am GMT
You're so not asking the right person, if you're asking ME to identify an accent. I'm not good at that at all! To me, all I can tell is it sounds like some sort of English accent. I couldn't tell you if it's native or not.
111   Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:54 am GMT
Q no la haga de jamón la pinky torta y que deje de hacerse el interesante. Que diga de dónde es, sin tanto moroko rodeo.
Va!
L   Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:30 am GMT
To those who assume that I'm Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai etc.: I'm not Asian!

Thank for your comments, anyway.
L   Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 pm GMT
<<She certainly doesn't sound very European.>>

It's interesting because I've never been outside Europe. What makes you think that I can't be European?

Yes, my intonation on the part "she put on a plain yellow dress" is completely unnatural because my voice faltered there somehow. I wouldn't pronounce it that way in real-life communication.
User   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:24 pm GMT
>> >> It's interesting because I've never been outside Europe. What makes you think that I can't be European? <<

Well, that narrows it down quite a bit. Well, with that accent, you're certainly not a Brit, but you obviously learned British English, but I guess most Europeans do. So, you don't sound French, or German. So, that narrows it down to probably Eastern and Southern Europe, but maybe Scandinavia or that area.
Guest   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
Latvia or Lithuania?
User   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
What I would recommend to you, is to learn to speak American English, instead of British English. While you do a fairly good job at speaking with a British-style accent, I think your voice would be better suited to an American accent. For one thing, you need to put more effort in improving your r's--they are sadly lacking at the ends of your words. Then after you master the r's, you should work on your vowels--make the corrections I posted previously such as been->bin; gets->gits. Then, you will no longer speak with as pronounced an accent.
Uruk-hai   Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
Malta?
Lazar   Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
<<Then after you master the r's, you should work on your vowels--make the corrections I posted previously such as been->bin; gets->gits. Then, you will no longer speak with as pronounced an accent.>>

Setting aside the question of whether L should speak American English or not, pronouncing "gets" as "gits" is not a "correction" necessary to speak standard American English. If L pronounced it as "gits", it would not make her accent sound more American in general, it would just give her a Southern regional accent.

You may not be aware of this, but "gets" is by far the most common pronunciation of that word in American English, and "gits" sounds distinctly "off" to my ears.

I would no more advise L to say "gits" than I would advise her to use a peculiarity of my own Northeastern speech, such as pronouncing "drawer" like "draw", or "aunt" like "ahnt".
meesh   Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
I agree with Lazar. "Gits" is dissonance to my ears!!

Meesh