Accent sample - Damian, Uriel, Travis etc please comment

Lazar   Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:50 am GMT
I was just trying to be creative. ;-)
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:53 am GMT
Nice play of words, Lazar! :)
L   Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 am GMT
Okay. I'm from Hungary (Finno-Ugric - so you were quite close to the solution when you thought I was Finnish). I lived in England in different places, in the South and in the North as well. I think that makes you think my pronunciation is a bit "inconsistent".

I didn't have the slightest intention of forcing you into an unreasonable argument when I asked where I was from. I just wanted to know how you, who don't know me and are not used to my accent, perceive the way I peak.

Thank you for your comments.
Uriel   Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:03 am GMT
Not at all -- I was just getting curious!

My stepmother is originally Hungarian, but she spent 30 years in Germany before attempting to learn English, and she speaks English with a pronounced German accent. She sounds absolutely nothing like you at all. So I would never have put the two together.
L   Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:18 am GMT
I don't have a typical Hungarian accent (allegedly).
Last year I met a Hungarian woman in London, and she didn't realise that I was Hungarian. I was surprised, because I could easily recognise her Hungarian accent.

If you wanna hear a reasonably strong and typical Hungarian accent, listen to Hungary One. Here is the link:

http://web.ku.edu/idea/europe/hungary/hungary.htm
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:12 pm GMT
L:

I haven't ignored this thread and your plea - I've read all the posts but at the present time I have a problem with my audio function so I have not had an opportunity to listen to your recording. As soon as it's up and running again I'll tune in and report back. It sounds intriguing.

Apart from the majority of British accents in English, of which there are so many and which I can readily recognise, the only Continental accents I can identify with varying degrees of accuracy, are standard French, German (which may of course be Swiss but I wouldn't know that), Dutch, Italian and, I think, Spanish. A Scandinavian accent is usually easy to pinpoint but I'm not able to identify them as either Swedish, Danish, Norwegian. I'm not really sure whether Finnish people can be categorised as Scandinavian when it comes to accent. Also I am now able to recognise Eastern European accents which are increasingly becoming more and more familiar on the streets of the UK, but I would not know whether the speakers were Polish, Czech or from the Baltic countries, all now EU members. From next month the Romanians and Bulgarians will join the Europa Fest so even more lingoistic fun! LOL
L   Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 pm GMT
Thanks Damian.

I think I'm going to record a new one (on Friday, maybe), since I have really strange and unnatural intonation patterns on some of the sentences in this recording (the way I would never say it in real life). But you can listen to this as well and have a good laugh at the "she put on a plain yellow dress" and "more to her liking" parts. :-))

Cheers
L