Pronunciation of Laura

Guest   Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
How do you say "Laura": Lahra or Lora or something else?
Laura Braun   Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
It's Lora, but you can call me Laura or whotever you wish, I don't mind. I have taken my name from movie 'The hours'..
Laura Braun   Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Laura Braun   Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:08 pm GMT
for more details (what kind of pronounciation you need? australian, british, american or canadian and so and so) just dig up here http://www.fonetiks.org/
Laura Braun   Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:14 pm GMT
Lazar   Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
I pronounce it as "Law-ra" ["lQ.r@].

I don't pronounce it as "Lohr-a" ["lOr.@] or "Lahr-a" ["lAr.@].
Travis   Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 pm GMT
I myself pronounce "Laura" as ["L\o:.R@]; note though that this [o] is lower than [o] from /o/ not before /r/ here but is still closer to that [o] than the [O] or [Q] from /O/ here.
Sho   Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:30 am GMT
I pronounce the name /lO:ra/, with the first vowel being the same vowel as the one in 'core'.
Guest   Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:38 am GMT
>> "Laura" as ["L\o:.R@] <<

Would this be different from your "ore" in "core"?
Travis   Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:49 am GMT
>>>> "Laura" as ["L\o:.R@] <<

Would this be different from your "ore" in "core"?<<

No; both historical /O:/ and /o:/ (and in the word "sorry", /Q/) merged to [o] before /r/ IMD. So thus I get "ore" : [o:R] and "core" [k_ho:R]. One note though is that the vowel length I mark here in my transcriptions is allophonic vowel length and is not related to the length in historical /O:/ and /o:/.
Uriel   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:52 am GMT
Lore-a
Guest   Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:29 am GMT
Law-ra or an even lore-ah = [lo:.r\@] or [lo:r\a]
Sometimes, a more relaxed: lorr-ah = [lO:r\a]
Travis   Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:43 am GMT
>>>>>> "Laura" as ["L\o:.R@] <<

Would this be different from your "ore" in "core"?<<

No; both historical /O:/ and /o:/ (and in the word "sorry", /Q/) merged to [o] before /r/ IMD. So thus I get "ore" : [o:R] and "core" [k_ho:R]. One note though is that the vowel length I mark here in my transcriptions is allophonic vowel length and is not related to the length in historical /O:/ and /o:/.<<

I myself am actually considering changing my transcriptions such that the vowel here would be [O] *but* the "aw" vowel would be [Q] rather than [O] (but a high [O] and a high [Q] respectively). Consequently, "Laura" would become ["L\O:R@], "ore" would become [O:R], and "core" would become [k_hO:R].
Guest   Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:55 am GMT
Law-wa!
Jim   Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 am GMT
Laura,

I'll keep calling you Nora. They rhyme ... they do for me, "Laura" & "Nora". They also rhyme with "drawer" (one who draws not the thing you put stuff in) & "snorer" (one who snores). I wouldn't pronounce "law-wa" the same but "lawa" I might (only it doesn't look like an English word so I might think twice before applying usual rules to it).

/lo:.r\@/ (/o:/ as in "caught" not "coat")