Which brand of English dictionaries is the best one?

ZhongGuoRen   Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:47 am GMT
Dic-observer

Hello! I really appreciate your patient and useful reply, thank you very much indeed. I would like to tell you my Google Talk ID, If you also like to contact me in your free time. About 2 years ago, I got the Longman Contemporary English Dictionary (Chinese Edition), and at present according to your very helpful advice, I would like to buy "Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (7th Edition)", but I'm still a little hesitant about what language edition I should choose, "English original edition"? or "Chinese translated editon" (Use both English and Chinese to explain English). I've alreay sent an E-mail to inquire the "Foreign Languages Teaching & Research Press"---the most famous publishing company of China, about whether it would be published in Chinese editon in China. If not, I will choose the English original edition.
So I would like to have this "Paper dictionary" firstly, though I already got the Longman contemporary, in fact I've always trusted Oxford publication.

My Gmail (Google Talk): “tsokaka@gmail.com”, I wish we could be friends.
My Hotmail (WLM): “tsokaka@hotmail.com”, is also available.
Ono   Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:35 am GMT
L'italofilo   Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:55 am GMT
1, Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (7th Edition)
2, Longman Dictionary Of Contemporary English (4th Edition)
3, Macmillan English Dictionary For Advanced Learners (New 2-colours)
4, Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (2nd Edition)
5, Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (5th Edition)

Which One is the best for foreign learners? Thank you very much!
L'italofilo   Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 am GMT
I don't like electronic dictionary, I prefer paper dictionary much, BTW.
Yank   Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:34 am GMT
I grew up with those "awkward American phonetic symbols". I am not a grammarian or linguist, but I do find the symbols used in American dictionaries much less confusing than their international counterparts, however they may not be that useful to a non-native English speaker who may need the additional information the international phonetic symbols provide.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:10 pm GMT
Go on with this topic please!
Rodrigo   Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm GMT
Do these dictionaries include the different spellings? For example does the Oxford include both organize and organise or only organize. (I know it may sound weird to ask if a British dictionary uses the -ize ending, but Oxford spelling uses -ize).
Jack   Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:46 pm GMT
Concise Oxford English Dictionary contains very natural educated definitions and explanations of words from which you can, native or no, pick up useful phrases and word constructions. I think this Oxford, though very appealing, comes second to your majestic Chambers English Dictionary. Thank you.
L'italofilo   Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:41 am GMT
Comparing <Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary> with <Macmillan English Dictionary For Advanced Learners>, which one would be a little better as a whole? Thanks!
Rick Packer   Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
Chambers is my favourite!
Guest   Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
<Comparing <Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary> with <Macmillan English Dictionary For Advanced Learners>, which one would be a little better as a whole? >

Collins Cobuild is my vote. It has a bank of examples for each word on its CD ROM which Macmillan does not have. And its definitions are thorough, that means they are more than enough to clarify the meaning of the word. Unlike Collins Cobuild, Macmillan's definitons are precise and the need of reading examples is a must case. On CD ROM, it displays both British and American voice recordings which is a plus point. On Collins Cobuild CD ROM, It displays only British recordings. Overall, Collins Cobuild is a trend-setter and all dictionary publishers are following its footsteps. Elearn Aid is selling CCobuild CD version at 10 bucks.

If you can understand defintions of various dictionaries, then Collins Cobuild is a great choice. If you have a problem with that, then Macmillan is a reasonable choice. If I had to pick one between the two, then I'd pick collinscobuild as my first choice. I own many dictionaries like, Cambridge, Longman, Macmillan, and Collin Cobuild. The latter one beats them all hands down with its expansive content and with other many extras. I use it all the time.
L'italofilo   Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 am GMT
<Collins Cobuild is my vote. It has a bank of examples for each word on its CD ROM which Macmillan does not have. And its definitions are thorough, that means they are more than enough to clarify the meaning of the word. Unlike Collins Cobuild, Macmillan's definitons are precise and the need of reading examples is a must case. On CD ROM, it displays both British and American voice recordings which is a plus point. On Collins Cobuild CD ROM, It displays only British recordings. Overall, Collins Cobuild is a trend-setter and all dictionary publishers are following its footsteps. Elearn Aid is selling CCobuild CD version at 10 bucks.

If you can understand defintions of various dictionaries, then Collins Cobuild is a great choice. If you have a problem with that, then Macmillan is a reasonable choice. If I had to pick one between the two, then I'd pick collinscobuild as my first choice. I own many dictionaries like, Cambridge, Longman, Macmillan, and Collin Cobuild. The latter one beats them all hands down with its expansive content and with other many extras. I use it all the time.>

Thank you very much!
Skippy   Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 am GMT
I prefer Webster's...
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:11 am GMT
Americans prefer only American-made stuff because they are weirdos. They are suspicious about anything that is not American made.
furrykef   Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:52 am GMT
<< I prefer Webster's... >>

It's worth noting that Webster's isn't really a brand. Anybody can make a dictionary and call it Webster's. The "real" Webster's brand -- the one most directly descended from the works of Noah Webster, and the most prestigious -- is Merriam-Webster.

I usually use the Merriam-Webster dictionary online (www.m-w.com), but I must admit I do so only because I'm accustomed to it, not because I think it's the best dictionary. To me, one dictionary's like any other, at least as far as English monolingual dictionaries go.

- Kef