Who is the most authoritative phonetician in the world now?

Bobse   Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
Who is the most authoritative phonetician in the world now?
Guest   Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
William Labov?
Guest   Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
People like Kirk, Lazar, Travis, Jim..et al fall into the best catagory of phoneticians in the world now.
Olle Kjellin   Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
Depends on what aspect of "authoritative" you are referring to. For British English phonetics and pronunciation in general, I would definitely vote for John Wells. See his blogs! (http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/blog.htm). He also published English pronunciation dictionaries.
For phonetics both as a science as such and applied in the practice of teaching English pronunciation to second-language (L2) learners, Bryan Jenner is one of the best. In the same context Madalena Cruz-Ferreira, Evelyn Abberton, Jane Setter, Murray Monro, Marta Szabados, Rebecca Dauer, and many more are on my list of favourites. When it concerns primarily the teaching of L2 pronunciation, but still with a profound background in phonetics, Judy B. Gilbert is The Top Name Unsurpassed. As both a phonetician and a pron. teacher, and also a producer of excellent, award-winning software Richard Cauldwell is very famous.
I speak as a phonetician myself, and whenever the rest of us are having a dispute, John Wells will usually enter the scene and *authoritatively* give the "correct answer". So, there we are, back to the first name again! (BTW, John Wells is also an authority on Esperanto.)
Cheers,
Olle Kjellin
(teacher of L2 Swedish, and SuperMemo newbie; my first post to this forum)
Bobse   Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
Oh, didn't expect such informative reply of yours, Olle Kjellin!
I hear that Peter Roach is also quite a man of phonetics, isn't he?
The information you supplied really gave me a clue to the important readings in the field of phonetics.
Thanks!