Guess where I'm from!

slimjimz   Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:19 am GMT
Where am I from? anything specific you notice? point it out.

http://media.putfile.com/Bad-Day-99

Fire authorities in California found a corpse in a burned out section of forest while assessing the damage done by a forest fire. The deceased male was dressed in a full wet suit, complete with scuba tanks on his back, flippers, and face mask. A post-mortem revealed that the person died not from burns, but from massive internal injuries. Dental records provided a positive identification.

Investigators set about to determine how a fully clad diver ended up in the middle of a forest fire. It was revealed that on the day of the fire, the person went for a diving trip off the coast some 20 miles from the forest. The fire-fighters, seeking to control the fire as quickly as possible, called in a fleet of helicopters with very large dip buckets. Water was dipped from the ocean and then flown to the forest fire and emptied. You guessed it. One minute our diver was making like Flipper in the Pacific, the next he was doing the breast stroke in a fire dip bucket 300 feet in the air.

Apparently he extinguished exactly 5'10" of the fire. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed
jason   Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:01 am GMT
Eh, I wanna say, Germany or Austria.
Meesh   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
fob ;]
Meesh   Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:35 am GMT
I'm tempting to say some kind of Asian
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 am GMT
Korean?
Fredrik from Norwegian   Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 pm GMT
You have a very nice American accent, but clearly have some difficulty with the rhotic r, so I would also guess that you are Asian.
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:16 pm GMT
What is the rhotic r? Which words require the rhotic r?
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:52 pm GMT
>> What is the rhotic r? <<

The American r. In other words you aren't saying your r's properly.
Learner   Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:33 pm GMT
Right, so where are you from???
slimjimz   Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:49 am GMT
I am Vietnamese, born and raised in Germany for 12 years, and have been living for the past 5 years in Southern California.
Meesh   Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 am GMT
He has a problem with the rhotic r's, not because he's asian, but because he was taught British English in Germany.

^_^ am i right?
Travis   Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:50 am GMT
>>He has a problem with the rhotic r's, not because he's asian, but because he was taught British English in Germany.

^_^ am i right?<<

You must remember that Standard German is non-rhotic as well, too.
Presley.   Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
Slimjim, will you please put the file into another format like quicktime? I'd like to hear it, but I can't open the file.
slimjimz   Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:19 pm GMT
http://media.putfile.com/quicktime

try it presley..

haha.. i just relistened to my own recording... do i really sound like that? mannnn....