Yes, it 'tis

Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:10 am GMT
I have heard many people who will say "yes, it 'tis" instead of "yes, it is". Why is that?
Lazar   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 am GMT
I don't recall hearing anyone say that. My pronunciation of "(yes,) it is" would almost invariably be [I4 "Iz]. Something like [It "t_hIz] or [I "t_hIz] would sound totally unnatural for me.

Perhaps the thing you're hearing is related to the British phenomenon where "at all" is pronounced "a tall" [@ "t_hO:5].
Jim   Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:03 am GMT
To pronounce "Yes, it 'tis." (which would be incorrect anyway) so as to sound distinct from "Yes, it is." takes some effort. Are you sure that that's what you're hearing?
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:08 am GMT
>> I have heard many people who will say "yes, it 'tis" instead of "yes, it is". Why is that?<<

They simply added the archaic 'tis to their speech, because it sounds cool. I know someone who does this.
Meesh   Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 am GMT
>> >> I have heard many people who will say "yes, it 'tis" instead of "yes, it is". Why is that?<<

They simply added the archaic 'tis to their speech, because it sounds cool. I know someone who does this. <<

Especially prevalent in high school students who are studying Shakespeare and deem it funny/cool to imitate the diction and syntax.

I say it's annoying.
Uriel   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 am GMT
I think what you're really hearing is people overpronouncing the T in "Yes, it is" to be cute. I do that sometimes. Lots of other people do that too. (Especially in an American accent, the T becomes quite muted otherwise.) But it doesn't mean that mentally we consider ourselves to be saying " 'tis".
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:53 am GMT
'Tis folly to be wise. I know - I've tried it - does nothing for me.

Most people, as far as I'm aware, actually don't pronounce the "T" all that clearly - some not at all. In "normal speed" speech it comes out more like an "R" a fair bit of the time, as in "oh, yeah - i'r is innit! Wow!" That is quite standard in everyday London speak as far as I could tell when I was down there. Not so much up here where we know how to speak "proper".
Robin   Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:00 am GMT
tis

tisn't

Yes it is

No is isn't

Childish speech!