BASQUE AND JAPANESE RELATED!!!

Ikasi   Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:08 pm GMT
I was supprended when i see the great similarities with basque and japanese!

See it:
Basque: ETXEKO TXORIA XURI DA.
Japanese: UCHI NO TORI WA SHIROI DA
Translation: The bird of the house is white.

(japenese man or woman can confirm this sentence?)
SATO   Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
Japanese has nothing in common with Basque...Mr. IKASI.
Ikasi   Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
sure this sentence is incorrect? But it was made by linguists
explain pleaz, i don't undestand why?
what is the real sense of UCHI NO TORI WA SHIROI DA in english?
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
English and Nahuatl are related!

English: well
Nahuatl: Huel
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:38 pm GMT
"uchi no tori wa shiroi" is the correct way. "da" cannot come after an i-adjective. Without context, I would translate this sentence as "Our bird is white.", but I suppose it could be "The bird of the house is white."
JR   Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
There was an article that connected Basque and other language isolates (which included a certain dialect of Japanese, I don't remember the name though, I think it might have started with an N) to a 'mother tongue' that was supposedly spoken by people as the emigrated away from Africa and started to populate the world.

It was quite amazing, but I don't know where to find it. I might google it later on, but Ikasi's statement is not completely wrong as it would appear.

(One thing I remember is that it linked the Dutch word 'kut' with a similar Amero-Indian word, as well as the Spanish word 'cutis'. Dutch kut = English cunt)
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
Guest   Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:05 am GMT
That article is nonsense. Any serious linguist thinks such a connection is absurd. Pretty much every claim in that article is easily proven false, as well.
Presley.   Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:59 am GMT
I think this is nonsense too, but...

«UCHI NO TORI WA SHIROI DA»

Just like guest said, it is incorrect to put "da" at the end of a sentence already ending in "i". I also would agree that "uchi" is more like "our". I personally would have used "ie".

If I broke down the sentence, here's how it would work:

"Uchi" means home, and "no" is the genetive particle. "Tori" is bird, and "wa (ha)" means "is". "Shiroi" completes the sentence, and it means "is white". Instead of "da", "desu" might have worked better, but it all depends on the context.
Guest   Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:33 pm GMT
"wa" doesn't mean "is", "desu" means "is"

"Uchi no tori wa shiroi desu" has more sense, "the bird of the house is white". Word by word the translation would be:
bird of house white is.

I've heard about that thing of Vasque and Japanese somewhere too, but without real evidence that's just a fantastical speculation.
Presley.   Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
"Wa" means "to be".

Watashi wa - I am
Anata wa - you are
Kare/Kanojyo/Sore wa - he/she/it is
Watashitachi wa - we are
Anatatachi wa - you (plural) are

"Da" or "desu" would be used at the end in order to complete the sentnce for a noun. In the case of a verb, it would be ended in something like "iru" or "imasu". For an adjective, it would be "i".
Ikasi   Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
Ok, thanks for your answers!
Now i know little much japanese, and i know japanese and basque are related in little word senses but not in general...

" "Wa" means "to be".

Watashi wa - I am
Anata wa - you are
Kare/Kanojyo/Sore wa - he/she/it is
Watashitachi wa - we are
Anatatachi wa - you (plural) are "

in basque to be is named "izan":
ni naiz (I am)
hi haiz (You "tho" are)
hura da (He, she, it is)
zu zara (You are)
gu gara (We are)
zuek zarete (You plural)
haiek dira (They are)

ETXEKO TXORIA XURI DA.

here:
da: is to be
Etxe: is the house
Txori: is the bird
Xuri: is White
-ko: is "of the" (agglutinative situation)

Tx prononciation is japanese "Ch"
X prononciation is japanese "Sh"
Guest   Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
"Wa" does not mean "is/to be"
Desu/da means "to be/is"

"Wa" is the agglutinative ending signifying that the attached noun is the subject of the sentence in the same way that "no" signals possession.
Presley.   Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:35 am GMT
«"Wa" is the agglutinative ending signifying that the attached noun is the subject of the sentence in the same way that "no" signals possession.»

I guess I'm wrong then. Whoopsies.
Guest   Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 am GMT
crow = Krähe