Substandardish

Mxsmanic   Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:08 am GMT
I've created a new language that I would like to represent to you all. It's called "Substandardish". Who would like to learn it?
User   Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:51 am GMT
I would like to learn it.
Guest   Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:37 am GMT
"Substandard" is so passé. "Nonstandard" is the new substandard.
Liz   Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:55 am GMT
Mxsmanic, are you plain crazy? Some of your students must have managed to wind you up, and that makes you write such crap.

<<"Substandard" is so passé. "Nonstandard" is the new substandard.>>

So true.
This term is ever so old fashioned nowadays. It is hardly ever used by English linguists because it has negative connotations (sub = under, so substandard = below standard). Of course, it is still used by German linguists but not in a pejorative sense,( for want of a better word: they can't say "nonstandard", "nicht standard" would sound pretty awkward).

I know... you will say "nonstandard" is nothing but a euphemism for "substandard", and students have to learn to speak and write "correct" English. But this is a linguistic term, and not political correctness sneaking into the ELT arena! Moreover, "substandard" has always been used to describe native varieties (dialects, sociolects) of a language. I don't think anyone has ever used it to describe non-native varieties. (For you always mention this in connection with your ESL/EFL students, but please correct me if haven't got the slightest intention of doing so this time.)
Liz   Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:20 am GMT
if haven't = if you haven't
Liz   Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 am GMT
<<I've created a new language that I would like to represent to you all.>>

Should it be "present" instead of "represent"? "Represent" is a wee bit "substandard" in this context, innit, though? :-))

BTW, is it you, Mxsmanic or a troll using your name?
Mxsmanic   Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:14 pm GMT
<<I would like to learn it.>>

Good. Being substandard as it is, it's not that difficult to learn.