What does a mid-atlantic accent sound like?

losvueltar   Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
Someone told me that there is a mid-atlantic English accent involving a mixture of American and British accents. What does that accent sound like? Anyone can provide me with some internet links containing related audio materials?
Liz   Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
<<Someone told me that there is a mid-atlantic English accent involving a mixture of American and British accents.>>

I think that's true. Besides, this is a regular "singing" accent. I mean lots of British and non-native English speaking singers (and some of the Americans as well) use this accent when singing instead of their normal native varieties.
Many EFL learners end up speaking like that who learnt Standard British English but weren't taught to or aren't willing to apply the R-dropping rule. (For it's difficult to not pronounce all your "r"-s if your native language/dialect is "rhotic".)

Well, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_English

It's a short description of Mid-Atlantic English. Although no audio material is included, some famous people are mentoned in the article who cultivate(d) this variety of English.

Here's another link for you:

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/pronunciation-phonetics/18679-mid-atlantic-accent.html

This one is a forum discussion about Mid-Atlantic English.

Sorry, I was trying hard but haven't found a single speech sample of Mid-Atlantic accent yet. If I manage to find something, I'll inform you as soon as possible.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Liz
Henry   Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:37 pm GMT
A Mid-Atlantic accent is specifically developed to sound neutral among American and British accents. Such accents used to be usual among the upper social classes of many cities in eastern North America, especially New York City (where it is sometimes called the "Locust Valley lockjaw" after the home of American President Franklin Roosevelt, who spoke with such an accent), Boston (where it is sometimes called a "Harvard accent" or "Boston Brahmin accent"), Philadelphia (where it is sometimes called a "Main Line accent"), and Baltimore. In fact, it formed a required segment of the education to be had at most of America's most prestigious schools until as late as 1950. In Britain, it has been most often affected by businessmen, intellectuals, and members of academia who seek or support a special Anglo-American relationship in areas of culture and commerce.

Mid-Atlantic accents have been popular in the entertainment industry. On the television program, "Frasier," the characters Frasier and Niles Crane speak with a Mid-Atlantic accent developed in the American city of Seattle. The iconic American actor, Katharine Hepburn, also spoke with a Mid-Atlantic accent developed in Connecticut, a short distance northeast of New York City. Another actor and icon, Cary Grant, spoke with a different Mid-Atlantic accent developed in Bristol on England's west coast.
Guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:04 pm GMT
>> Frasier and Niles Crane <<

Niles speaks General American.