Galician and Portuguese

journalist   Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
...and try telling an East London Cockney or a Brooklyner that they live too close to city-centre to have their own accents and mannerisms.
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
««in France are in France...UNTIL they come home. The thousands of Portuguese immigrants in France must have imported many words into common use. (Besides, ever noticed that 'marron' is also Spanish?).»»

Give us a brake. There are Portuguese immigrants all over the world.
If you want French origin words I can tell you some, but "marron" is not one of them. The EuPortuguese word with the closest sound to "marrom" is:

marrão = from Arabic moharrana

The fact that it exists in Spanish does not mean it has to exist in Portugal. It does in BrazilianPortuguese not in EuPortuguese.

"Marrom é um galicismo entrado no português do Brasil [«cor da casca da castanha»]
dire(c)tamente da palavra francesa "marron". "[ciberdúvidas]

««It seemed that there was the basis of a good and original story.»»

Basis such as?

««However, your learned and intelligent responses, Gringo, have lead me to the inescapable conclusion that we must abandon the project forthwith since you personally consider it ridiculous. [This is an example of what is called 'irony' in case you don't recognise it.]»»

Really whatever you want to write is up to you, it is your name on the article not mine. [the 'irony' sounds very familiar I can always recognise it]
journalist   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
Touché Gringo!
By the way, it's spelled give us a BREAK, not BRAKE...guess you ain't from around here?
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 pm GMT
journalist:

««...and try telling an East London Cockney or a Brooklyner that they live too close to city-centre to have their own accents and mannerisms.»»

Yes, another good comparison. London has only an estimated population of 7.5 million people.
Tomi   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
Gringo is one the few people in this forum whose posts are NOT ridiculous.
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
BREAK, not BRAKE...guess you ain't from around here?

Guess you type better than me.
journalist   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
Oh ok Tomi - then I stand corrected.
I never meant to insinuate that Gringo was an opinionated, argumentative, ignoramous who seems to be entirely incapable of original thought...my sincere apologies.
Ronaldo Ronaldinho Gilber   Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:45 pm GMT
"As a portuguese living in Lisbon, I have heard many times people saying marron instead of castanho. Even at clothing stores"

How about the rest of the country? Only 5-8% of the portuguese live in Lisbon.

"I never meant to insinuate that Gringo was an opinionated, argumentative, ignoramous who seems to be entirely incapable of original thought"

I think Tomi didn't misunderstand you like that either. In fact nobody in this forum, I think. By the way the correct spelling should be ignoramus. Ignoramus comes directly from Latin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoramus)
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:23 pm GMT
««"As a portuguese living in Lisbon, I have heard many times people saying marron instead of castanho. Even at clothing stores"

How about the rest of the country? Only 5-8% of the portuguese live in Lisbon. »»

Yes, say marron in the rest of the country then do not get surprised with the answers:

marrar is what a marrão does:
arremeter com os chifres;
bater com a cornada;
dar marrada;

Do you want me to explain any better?
Tico   Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:38 pm GMT
To gringo
Tico, if you are a Portuguese living in Lisbon, you can not distinguish a Brazilian from a Portuguese. The only conclusion is that you are not Portuguese.

ok, go to H&m,Zara,Breshka or any other clothing store, and find out for yourself. My mother who doesnt know how to speak english or french knows the meaning of marron.
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:06 pm GMT
My mother who doesnt know how to speak english or french knows the meaning of marron.

To know the meaning og the word is one thing to speak it every day is another. Brazilian Soap Opera rings a bell? What is the nationality of your mother?
to gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:11 pm GMT
Portuguese, im not saying its used every day, im just saying its common to see the word marron in anything from adds, newspapers, etc.
Gringo   Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:20 pm GMT
««Portuguese, im not saying its used every day, im just saying its common to see the word marron in anything from adds, newspapers, etc. »»

It is common if you are in Brazil.
Why would it be on adds and news papers if people do not speak it? The only time you hear the word "marron" is if it is spoken by a Brazilian.
Guest   Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:25 pm GMT
Tchau, its not a portuguese word also, but it is very common to hear people using it nowadays.
Elvas   Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
Portuguese people sometimes also use brazilian expression Camundongo Mickey (Mickey Mouse) instead of weird one Rato Mickey (Mickey the Rat).