Bottle-blondes

Meesh   Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:17 am GMT
I'm not sure if "bottle-blonde" is the right term, but I remember hearing a term used to describe a girl who bleaches her hair blonde.

My question is whether "bottle-blonde" (or the like) is a derogatory or pejorative term. In context, it seemed like it is, in fact, a derogatory term. However, it perplexes me because from where I come, a naturally blonde girl is hard to find. Most blondes here are actually Asians, Hispanics, and some Whites with dark hair who obviously bleach their hair blonde. It's just something they do along with cutting their hair and doing their nails--no stigma surrounding it.

So is "bottle-blonde" actually derogatory?

Meesh.
Robin   Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
I initially was going to write something a little bit rude, about hair on the head matching, hair on the body, but then I thought better of it.

Bottle Blonde, is a 'fake' blonde. Everyone prefers the real thing. There is such a thing a strawberry blonde. It is rather like 'Siamese Cats'; women come in a variety of colours. With Siamese Cats, you have 'Seal Point, Chocolate, Lilac, Blue, etc. The Miss World competition would never be the same if they judged women on the length of their nose, or whether they have a kink in their tail.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Robin
Uriel   Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:54 pm GMT
I think "bottle-blond" is only mildly derogatory if at all, in that it points out that the color is not natural (Robin, your phrase would be "the carpet doesn't match the drapes"). But it's hardly an insult. There isn't much stigma attached to dyeing one's hair anymore.

Personally, I always thought the term "suicide blond" was cute -- dyed (died) by her own hand. But other than in the INXS song, I don't think it's used much anymore.
Meesh   Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
Haha, "suicide blonde" is a cute term. Maybe I'll use it :)

Meesh.