"Curling" Scottish or British?

Robin   Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 am GMT
The nationality of Oscar Wilde attracted some attention.

So, what do the audience think of Curling?

Curling is an Olympic Sport. Below is a brief article:

<<<Whether or not the game was invented in Scotland, it can certainly be said that the Scottish affinity with the game is second to none. A veritable national sport, curling, like tartan and haggis, is a Scottish speciality. In fact the entire British team at the Olympics comes from north of the border.>>>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/netnotes/article/0,,653346,00.html
01SE   Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
Well, comparing a sport with someone's nationality is a bit specious.

I'd say curling is a quintessentially Scottish sport by origin. But it is arguably a quintessentially Canadian sport now too (with due acknowledgement of our debt to the Scottish immigrants who introduced it to Canada so successfully).

www.curling.ca
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:06 pm GMT
Curling is very much regarded as a Scottish sport, not that I have ever ventured out onto the ice to lob away at a stone. In fact I haven't seen all that much of the sport but I know it is popular, more so in some parts of Scotland than others. I believe it's very popular up Perth way and further north in Aberdeenshire and Inverness. So, I would definitely answer "Scottish" and not British. Anyway, Canadians seem to have taken over the sport big time, and they always seem to be over here showing "us" how to really play.